Why I'll never give up frosties

As I'm on a health kick at the moment, I figured I should not only try to do more exercise... I should also try to eat healthily. I've been stuffing my face on quinoa again and yesterday I had a bowl of edamame beans for lunch (with more quinoa, boiled egg and sweetcorn... going to get really sick of that stuff pretty quick I think). Anyway, eating healthily at lunch is fairly easy. Eating healthily at breakfast I find much harder. Toast always seems like too much carbs and too much temptation to smother a slice with runny hunny or jam. Plus two slices is never enough for me and I end up eating three or four (I'm a pig).

I'd always thought cereals were a mine field as well... 'healthy' cereals like Special K just seem so damn boring in comparison to a nice big bowl of Coco Pops or Frosties, but the latter just appeared to be too fattening... until I actually READ the nutritional information on the boxes! Yes girls. It's true. The difference between a bowl of the good stuff and a bowl of card board is negligible! So, obviously, I had converted to a morning hello of frosted flakes ha ha. Don't believe me? Let's take a look at the facts shall we?

Special K
- kJ 1586
- kcal 374
Protein (g) 15
Carbohydrates (g) 75
- sugars (g) 17
- starch (g) 58
Fat (g) 1.5
- saturates (g) 0.5
Fibre (g) 2.5
Sodium (g) 0.45

Fruit and fibre
- kJ 1514
- kcal 358
Protein (g) 8
Carbohydrates (g) 68
- sugars (g) 24
- starch (g) 44
Fat (g) 6
- saturates (g) 3.5
Fibre (g) 10
Sodium (g) 0.55

Frosties
- kJ 1578
- kcal 371
Protein (g) 4.5
Carbohydrates (g) 87
- sugars (g) 37
- starch (g) 50
Fat (g) 0.6
- saturates (g) 0.1
Fibre (g) 2
Sodium (g) 0.45

Coco Pops
- kJ 1641
- kcal 387
Protein (g) 5
Carbohydrates (g) 85
- sugars (g) 34
- starch (g) 51
Fat (g) 3
- saturates (g) 1.5
Fibre (g) 2
Sodium (g) 0.45

Shocking reading! Fruit and fibre and Special K has MORE calories in it than a bowl of Frosties! Yes, ok, Frosties DOES have a lot of sugar, but it has less fat and to be honest the difference between them is not that much, so why suffer chewing on a bowl of carpet when you could be eating something yummy?! If you're counting calories, then there's no decision to be made is there.... the Frosties win every time! Yum yum... plus they make a great snack instead of crisps... just ask my colleagues who have to put up with me chomping them straight from the box at my desk... hmm think I may have some now....

Comments

Anonymous said…
I LOVE SPECIAL K!!!!! IT TASTES GREAT!!!!! Your taste buds are wrong it does NOT taste like cardboard and of course Fruit and Fibre is going to have more fat in it... it has nuts! Nut's are full of oil. And another thing....

I don't LIKE frosties!!!!!! ha ha ha! They are like iced cornflakes and icing at breakfast is wrong!

Special K is actually one of my favourites as well as weetabix.
Sweetpea said…
Good thing it's not you eating the Frosties then isn't it?!

My god woman, are you sure you haven't been eating tons of Frosties?! You're typing like you're on a sugar high... what's with all the EXCLAIMATION MARKS!!!!!!!! ha ha

Special K is ok, but I much prefer Frosties. Weetabix is also nice, but only when I smother it with honey and yoghurt and stuff that generally defeats the object of eating a healthy breakfast cereal!

Popular Posts