Lazy sunday

Well, it's Sunday afternoon, the day after the night before. Last night was, erm, well interesting. It all started off quite well. I met my friends and went for dinner at Sakura just off Oxford Street. As usual when I go for my sushi dinners with the boys, we ordered a TON of food... but we ate it all. Then we headed to my friend's birthday at Abacus. The party never really filled out though, and my friend drove round the city for ages trying to find parking... in the end the friend I was inside with had to go out and try to help her find a space and, yes you guessed it, they ended up both going home! Anyway, I tagged along with some other people in there and ended up having a good night. Good thing I didn't go all out on the school uniform fancy dress though as hardly anyone dressed up!!

Just watched the first episode of Pushing Daisies. The series is about a man who has an amazing gift. With one touch, he can bring back the dead. But his gift has conditions. With a second touch, the person reverts back to deceased, and if he doesn't touch the brought-back-to-life individual before 60 seconds has passed, someone else near-by dies instead. He uses his gift to open a pie shop and make the most amazing tasting pies using gone off dead and revived fruit. He also solves crimes by bringing back the recent decased to ask who murdered them before reverting them to dead and splitting the reward with the private investigator who knows his secret. Ok, it all sounds very stupid. It sounds ridiculous in fact. If someone came to me pitching it as a TV series, I'd laugh... but I really enjoyed it! It has this Tim Burton, Charlie and the Chocolate factory, multicoloured fantastical fairy tale feel about it, which is helped by the fact it's narrated throughout each episode by someone with a real children's fairy tale kind of voice and the vibrant, bright, cartoonish sets. The relationship between him and Anna Friel (his childhood sweetheart who he brought back from the dead to find out who murdered her and didn't have the heart to kill her again, so became his partner in crime solving) is syrupy-sweet and brought a smile to my face... maybe it's the romantic in me. They can't touch (because he brought her back to life and a second touch would kill her) so they compensate by doing things like clasping their hands behind their backs pretending to hold each others. Who knows what the general public's opinion of the show is out there, but I am a potential fan... looking forward to the next episode!

Comments

Popular Posts