I'm a card dolphin...

Not a shark, a dolphin... because I don't play ruthlessly (or particularly well), I'm more of a social card player. Last night me, my housemate and a friend from work went to a nice little wine bar in Southwark and had a glass of wine and played Samba. My housemate and I are Canasta lovers and were taught how to play by my Mum at an early age (which evidently meant we learnt a ton of rules which aren't real Canasta rules). My colleague wanted to teach us how to play Samba, which is apparently the next step up from Canasta. Canasta is a bit like Gin Rummy but with a hell of a lot more rules. You play with 2 packs of cards and the aim to make a Canasta (which is 7 of the same card or 4 with 3 wild cards). Samba uses 3 packs and introduces runs of 7 of the same suit and even more rules. In the run up to the game, my colleague was full of bravado and bluster about how he's never found a worthy opponent, beats everyone he plays and basically is absolutely-f*cking-brilliant-and-will-kick-our-asses-with-his-eyes-closed. Needless to say, he kicked our asses. In my defence, I was

a) drinking wine (and have become the worlds lightest light-weight when it comes to alcohol so was a tad tipsy are two white wine spritzers... yes, spritzers...)
b) was in Canasta mode all through the game so wasn't looking for Sambas and
c) was so busy chatting that I wasn't paying attention to what cards were being thrown out into the discard pile.

We will definitely have to play again soon and this time I shall be less dolphin-like and more shark-like ha ha.

Comments

SambaShark said…
We'll yes, I did kick your butts! Going out on 10,500+ when neither of you amassed more than 2,000 points is quite a significant thrashing in Samba but I suspect that you'll both bounce back. I don't pretend to be the best Samba player in the world, well actually I do but it is just a front haha. It had been 10 years since I'd last played so I was quite worried that all that bravado would back fire but as it turned out, my prepared loosing spiels weren't needed and I can save them for another day! Good luck for next time though Moo Who ha ha ha!
Sweetpea said…
Oh you HAD to point out the scores, didn't you?! haha...

Loving the new nickname by the way, but you will soon be re-named SambaGoldfish once I've perfected my Samba strategy so don't discard those loosing spiels JUST yet!

Me? Competitive? Never.... (does sarcasm come across online? haha)
Anonymous said…
Sharks? Dolphins? Goldfish?

Well the CAPTAIN is gonna reel the lot of you in... then I'll run you over with my super high powered yacht... fry up the shredded pieces and serve them to myself on a warm summer evening with a little squeeze of lime....
...and a mojito!

How is that for fightin' talk!

I'll admit I haven't pushed off to a glittering start but... a slight course adjustment and a favourable wind will have you all flip flapping around like guppies on a dry day. YAR HAR HAR ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!
Anonymous said…
PS I also think it is worth mentioning that my game seriously spiralled downwards after I stopped lubricating my brain with wine. It is obviously an integral part of play to keep wine levels at the optimum performance level.... (OPL) I'm going to have to do a little bit of research to determine the exact point of this OPL but I'm sure it will be time and effort well spent!
Sweetpea said…
Ah ha... well the reverse is true for us fishes... whereas you piratey types seem to need some level of alcohol in your blood to function on a higher level, us fishies seem to go a bit brain dead at the mere whiff of the stuff! My game vastly improved when I stopped drinking! Haha

Oh, and TYPO! You can't even spell your own name right Sreve?! HAHA GOTCHA BACK!

Popular Posts