The future of the printed page?

I don't usually post twice in one day but thought this deserved a separate post. I read an article on Sky News yesterday about the future of books and the rise of e-books (electronic books for those of you not with it in this electronic age!) and decided I would put my two cents in and make a comment which got published! The article basically said that although there will be books in hard copy in 10 years time, will there be cook books and travel guides with the tendency for people to find this information on the internet and on their mobiles. I lean towards the opinion that there will always be demand for both these things. Personally, I think there's no substitute for a book you can hold, and cook books can make lovely gifts if they have more than just recipes in them. Anyway, for those of you who may be interested, here's the article (and my comment buried in there somewhere along with everyone else's).

Will We Need Books In 10 Years?

Anyone who knows me knows I love reading (although my housemate is so much more of a bookworm than me, not sticking to a particular genre and devouring books like there's no tomorrow). I've tried reading books in electronic format on my Nintendo DS, but once the novelty of having a portable library wore off, it wasn't all that great. You have no sense of where you've gotten to in the book, no turning of pages, no satisfaction of reading the last page... The words just don't seem the same. So I'm definitely a die hard book fan, in hard copy! But anyone who disagrees, feel free to post a comment!

Comments

Popular Posts