A philosophical discussion... sans alochol... for a change...

I had a nice email from an ex colleague the other day, after I blogged about how humans are at their evolutionary peak. It's rare to find someone to have a good old debate with, or someone who can talk as much crap as I can... and the exchange was too funny not to post. So enjoy the cognative spewings of my brain.... and his rather concise and (surprisingly well put) responses. Thanks for letting me post our conversation Mr A! haha

-----Original Message-----
From: Mr A - ex-colleague slash workplace tormentor
To: Sweetpea

On the facebook feed your new blog entry came up called "as good as it gets in the evolutionary sense"

I just wanted to say I have read it and I really really like the whole sentiment and underlying message of your writing about the selfishness of western society and despite an innate leading to the right in the political spectrum I found myself conceding many of your points to be true.

If you have written on other issues I will endeavour to read your other articles.

-----Original Message-----
From: Sweetpea
To: Mr A - ex-colleague slash workplace tormentor

Hi Mr A

How's life treating you? Glad SOMEONE'S reading my blog! haha... actually, my readership has gone up a bit, mainly from me plastering the link all over the place. Thanks for the kind words though... I do try and write about things that mean something to me as well as the mundane and idiotic! I just refuse to believe that we are specimens of advanced and perfected genetic evolution! If that's the case, it's very sad....

Hmm well, these will probably get your brain in gear....

http://scrambledeggsblog.blogspot.com/2008/10/everything-is-fine-not-final.html
http://scrambledeggsblog.blogspot.com/2008/09/positivity-effects-physicality.html
http://scrambledeggsblog.blogspot.com/2008/08/honey-bees-are-vanishing.html


-----Original Message-----
From: Mr A - ex-colleague slash workplace tormentor
To: Sweetpea

Things are good

I have read your blogs and I say I agree and disagree in just about proportionate measure.

If our paths cross again, which I have no doubt they will one day I will explain to you why I do not believe in fate, or a constant rhythm or rhyme though I do confess I do actually own a copy of Serendipity in the faint romantic notion of there being an invisible constant in the universe.

I prefer the matrix idea of cause and effect and choice being an illusion.... how is that for pessimism :-)

As for killing hunny bees I am sure scientists will create new polanisation techniques to replenish food stock, the real question is if this technology is available and if we can find all this money to prop banks that have created their own mess why can’t we find money to help the third world? The conclusion I draw is that it is simply not in the western government's interest to eradicate poverty and starvation on a world scale due to the finite supply of resources.

-----Original Message-----
From: Sweetpea
To: Mr A - ex-colleague slash workplace tormentor

HAHA so cynical... I like to put my faith in the fact that everything happens for a reason, even the bad things, and take comfort in the fact that there is indeed a silver lining to every situation, even if it's not immediately apparent.

Totally agree.... the western world has nothing to gain from helping the third world, and see bailing out banks as a much more pressing issue. The developed world gains from other people's wars, conflicts and suffering... not nice, but a fact all the same.


-----Original Message-----
From: Mr A - ex-colleague slash workplace tormentor
To: Sweetpea

I bet you would never have guessed I own that particular film though I put it in the same boat as about a boy which has one of my favorite lines ever " I am a f***ing island, I am ***dy Ibiza" now that is modern life described in a line!

I know everyone says this but go to Africa and tell me what they have done for fate to draw that card for them.... I refuse to believe in a concept that can mean that where I was born directly dictates how long I live and the type of lifestyle I enjoy. What reason is there?

-----Original Message-----
From: Sweetpea
To: Mr A - ex-colleague slash workplace tormentor

It's all relative... obviously your location and lifestyle dictates prosperity, well being and status, but everyone experiences their own dramas in life, regardless of where you are born, and the effect of those experiences are relative. My dad getting cancer was awful, but then it helped me gain a greater perspective on life and opened myself up to all the opportunities I have through realising life is too short to worry about failure, other people's expectations and the trivial things that really don't matter. To me, that was one of the silver linings... and one of the knock on effects of his illness... along with bringing our family closer together and making us appreciate each other even more than before... everything happens for a reason. A person elsewhere in the world who is a lot worse off than me, will live through a lot more traumatic experiences, but to them it's normality, because it's relative. And there's nothing to say that those traumas don't bring about a positive result, whether it's life changing or trivial. You can't draw direct comparisons.... because you have to factor in relativity...

I refuse to believe that everything in life is random, without rhyme or reason. It's just down to the individual to recognise the silver lining and use the obstacles in life to produce positive outcomes. Some people just miss that chance, too blind to seize the opportunity. So I guess, there's an aspect of both fate, and human intervention. Fate lays the path for you... it's down to the individual to tread that path, or not.

How's that for thought...

... my brain aches now.

HAHA

-----Original Message-----
From: Mr A - ex-colleague slash workplace tormentor
To: Sweetpea

I think that is the sort of thing that will come out of my mouth at 2am after a heavy night of drinking so I understand and value your opinion but I reserve the right to say..... Sweetpea you are wrong!

I am coming over as quite the cynic I realise but I am not really. I see the beauty of just existing every day, and trust me I could rival you or opinion and comment on that particular subject.

-----Original Message-----
From: Sweetpea
To: Mr A - ex-colleague slash workplace tormentor

HAHA no not wrong, just see life from a different stand point than you!
:o)

Hmm maybe I will blog about it at some point... although I think I've done the deep and meaningful for this week... HAHA

-----Original Message-----
From: Mr A - ex-colleague slash workplace tormentor
To: Sweetpea

But that would be a terrible waste of your deep and meaningful thoughts, I mean just think you dont even like me lol

Comments

Anonymous said…
Welcome to the lame assed world of UK dating. This is quite a shockingly pathetic "o-level" example.
Sweetpea said…
Not sure where you got dating from, but someone sounds bitter...

Your comments are getting more and more sour. If you don't enjoy reading the posts, don't bother, and don't bother commenting.

Would be nice for some comments provoking debate for a change rather than 'lame assed' digs with no thought behind them.
Anonymous said…
Even I haven't been that harsh or scathing in my comments. Although you could/would disagree as it transpires in your comments above. Today's blog is commendable in the way that it is thought provoking that touched on subjects that one might come across :-) See I do give fair dues to a good blog

Popular Posts