Surprise date night! Umbrellas at the ready!

Some people say when you get married, or even once you live together, you have to work at your relationship to keep it going. We've only been married 9 months, so maybe I should revisit this post in 9 years and see if I can make the same claims, but I'm so lucky to have a husband who makes an effort. Ever since we started dating, he's always insisted we have our "date nights". He'll say we haven't had a date in a while and need to so something together (sitting on the sofa watching tv together doesn't count!). Now, I guess, they're even more important than ever... soon we'll have less and less time alone, what with work and a new born bubba gobbling up all our time.

So I was really grateful when he told me a couple of weeks ago he had planned a surprise date night for us. Last night I asked for a clue and he told me to bring a raincoat or umbrella. That just baffled me. Was I going on a Thames boat tour? Was our date outside (the so called summer this year has been mostly rain, so.... a typical English summer really!)? I was stumped!

After a really hectic day at work I was so glad to get out of the office and spend some relaxing "us" time together. A quick meal at Four Seasons in China Town (which has really gone downhill! My duck was all fat, no meat!) and we were off to the secret destination. As we approached, the penny dropped. A big yellow poster on the side of a theatre, with a suited guy leaping into the air with an umbrella. We were seeing Singing in the Rain!

As we made our way to our amazing seats (2nd row from the front in the stalls!) I noticed the theatre was filled with OAPs. It must have been tour bus night! Makes sense I guess as the show is based on the classic black and white film. I have to admit never watching the whole of the original, so I was surprised I recognised so many of the musical numbers in the show. Make them Laugh.. Good Morning... and of course, Singing in the Rain.

Having such close seats to the stage was excellent. We had an amazing view of the cast (which was even better as my stupid contact lenses are majorly playing up... thanks to pregnancy grr). There were only two draw backs to our terrifically close to the stage seats. One... there was a huge speaker right by us, and I got a bit paranoid my unborn child's hearing was going to be permanently damaged by the amplified live orchestra (so I sat stupidly with my arms wrapped around my bump, trying to muffle as much of the noise as I could. Like THAT was going to do anything!). Two... singing in the rain, the actual musical number, involved rain. Real rain. On stage. And lots of leg whooshing (I don't know the technical term for swishing your leg across the stage). And therefore splashing. LOTS of splashing. Luckily the other side of the audience seemed to get it worse than us. They got drenched. We just got wet. It was actually hilarious. Lots of screams and laughing from the audience. It was brilliant. They repeated the number at the end of the show, with even more people. And rain. And splashing. We got a lot more wet the second time round!

I think my hubby is an old soul. He loved the show. He came out singing singing in the rain. He said it was the best show he's ever seen. That's saying something, from someone who's been to see Chicago, Wicked, the Phantom of the Opera and Les Miserables. I have to admit though, it was really good. I think it was even better because my husband booked it specially as a surprise date night though. I'm a lucky lucky girl. :)

Comments

Popular Posts