Wall-E

Last night I went to see Wall-E. I'd read glowing reviews for the film, but I wasn't expecting it to be THAT good. It was brilliant! Wall-E, a waste compactor robot, is the only 'living' thing left on Earth along with his pet cockroach. His sole task is to clean up the tidal wave of rubbish left behind by humans who abandoned the planet 700 years ago. He becomes obsessed with a shiny state of the art robot who appears on the planet's surface out of the blue, and together they save humankind... in a nut shell... without giving the plot away!

So, how would I describe this film? In a word, beautiful. How can a film about rubbish and robots be beautiful you ask? It's hard to explain without seeing it on the big screen (and yes, it needs the big screen, DVD won't do it justice, believe me), but I'll try. For one, the outer-space scenes were breath taking, and I mean BREATH TAKING. If that's what space truly looks like, I understand why astronauts do what they do to see such beauty. It was spectacular. Secondly, anyone who can get that amount of emotion from an animated robot deserves an award. The affection, love, passion and humour portrayed by those goggly binocular robot eyes melted your heart. There were some really touching scenes which actually (and this is embarrassing but those of you who have seen it KNOW it's true!) almost made me cry. As always, Pixar have sewn into the lining of the story a moral message, but at the same time produced an awe inspiring, funny and wonderful film that children and adults will really truly enjoy.

Big statement, but I think this has to be my favourite Pixar film so far, if not the best film I've seen this year... or last.... yes, it's really THAT good. I'm buying it the second it's out on DVD.

Comments

Popular Posts