One woman's hidden treasure is another one's nightmare

Reading one of my regular blogs I look at today, I had a little surprise. The author had been to my favourite hairdressers and hated it. I've been going to Hair by Fairy for years and always thought of it as a hidden treasure, a small but very affordable hairdressers tucked away in Neals Yard, Covent Garden.

When I first was introduced to the salon years ago by my Aussie friend, it was £11 a cut (which has now gone up to a staggering... wait for it... £13!). Neals Yard itself is a pretty funky little corner of Covent Garden anyway, full of organic eateries and alternative therapy shops, and Hair by Fairy fits in perfectly. The salon looks quite cool, with day glo orange stripes across the walls (I was gutted when they redecorated and got rid of the giant Betty Boop murals) and blaring techno and house music. Ok, it's a high turnover, no frills kind of place. No appointments, no fancy blow dries, just conveyor belt style come in, get your hair washed, sit in the next available chair and get your hair cut and rough blow dried in 15 minutes flat. But for the price, I've never complained. In fact, the cuts I get have always been really good (even if admittedly not always what I've asked for). The last 2 cuts especially have been fantastic.You never get the same hairdresser as you sit in which ever seat is free (and I don't think I've ever seen the same hairdresser in there twice) but they've all been really good, if a little interpretive with what you ask for.

So anyway, just goes to show that one woman's star find is another woman's rubbish...! Guess hairdressers are always a hit and miss kind of thing but I just can't bring myself to pay £40 for a hair cut. Call me tight... haha

Comments

Anonymous said…
TIGHT. ha

I pay a fiver in chinatown nextdoor to a strip joint ;) classy :)
Sweetpea said…
Yeah, I can tell... ;)

Popular Posts