The British Motor Show

Nikon in hand, I headed to the British Motor Show at the ExCel center to snap some slick cars and even slicker models. Expecting lots of souped up motors and big boobed women draped across car bonnets I was slightly disappointed when I got there. It wasn't the Max Power magazine personified exhibition I was expecting. A lot of the displays had standard saloons with one flashy concept car per manufacturer on a rotating podium (which made taking photos a bit annoying as the cars kept on moving) but I still managed to get a few good shots. We made it round the arena in about an hour and a half, including the (rather disappointing) outside section with Land Rovers taking the public up steep inclines and a RC car circuit.

Electric cars had a big presence at the show, with a lot of car manufacturers showing off their attempts at environmentally friendly automotive transport. But I have to say that they were all pretty ugly. I know it's difficult to make a decent sized car that can run on electricity for any amount of time, but seriously, do they have to look like they were made out of lego?! Electric cars in theory are a really great addition to personal motoring, but practicality-wise they're not all that great if you don't own a garage. It was only the other week I passed a house in Peckham with a G-Wiz electric shoe box of a car parked out the front, complete with extension lead trailing from the living room window, over the front wall, across the pavement (considerately covered with a nice rug to prevent trippage by the passing unsuspecting public) and into said car. Not ideal. Perhaps the introduction of more charging posts around the roads will help.

80's revival seemed to be the other common theme at the show, with white cars making a HUGE comeback. There's a real 80's trend at the moment, with the Shoreditch/Hoxton fashion types donning Frankie says relax t-shirts, neon and retro Nikes, so it should be no surprise that white is the new black when it comes to motoring. Almost every stand had one or more cars dazzling enough to get those Ray Bans out, and I have to say I quite liked the look.

Anyway, on to the real reason I went... the photos! The lighting was pretty fantastic in there and the cars had been buffed to the point of repelling any scantily clad woman who HAD of tried to perch herself on a bonnet. As I said, I didn't get masses of good shots (perhaps there was too MUCH choice and I was blinded by the shiny surfaces anbd pretty lights) but here's a choice few of the better ones.

VXR8

Seat

Nissan

Mazda

Insignia

Comments

Popular Posts