X-Men Origins: Wolverine

I knew X-Men Origins: Wolverine was going to be good, and I wasn't disappointed. It seems like every film the critics hate, the public love. It also seems to be the trend to produce comic book films which are grittier, less mutli-coloured cartoonish characteurs of their paper ancestors, less of the latex get-up and more realistic action and none of the fancy batmen-esque gadgets of the other movies. The film is a prequel to the first three X-Men films, and in my opinion the better. It provides background to who Logan (Wolverine) is, how he grew up, and how he became the brooding violent yet good hearted X-Men who has an inherent distrust of anyone who gets close. The storyline is clever, with several double crosses, and includes some characters previously unseen in the other films. The action scenes are excellent, and I found myself gripping my boyfriend's hand a bit too tight! I know there's another origins film in the pipeline, telling the story of Magneto, Dr Xavier's evil nemesis. I can't wait!

Comments

Popular Posts