Spanish Easter

Sorry for the lack of posts over the past few days but I was sunning myself in lovely Espana... Easter is a big deal in Spain and they hold a weekend-long festival called Semana Santa. Men and women dressed very spookily like members of the Ku Klux Klan (although I assure you there are no racist undertones at all), carry various biers depicting the various stages of Jesus's life, death and ressurection through the streets, swaying as they bear the statues on their shoulders. This year I didn't catch the night-time candle lit ceremony, but did see the day-time festivities as they carried the statues into the church at the Balcon de Europa in Nerja.


We also visited the caves, and I annoyingly set the ISO high on my camera to get the best photos in the dark conditions (no flash allowed... you get told off by shouty Spanish people with flashlights) and then forgot to reset it back to normal, which meant lots of grainy photos for the rest of the holiday... doh!

We are now expert navigators of the winding labyrinthine alleys of Salobrena, thanks to the Spanish custom of everything closing at 2pm, including the Arabic fort at the top of the hill... which meant wandering white washed streets (up VERY steep paths) for over 2 hours until it opened again... just to realise it was pretty much the same on the outside as it was on the inside! BAH!

Anyway, you can view my Spanish adventure here.

Other than eating a lot of chocolate and paella, I spent the rest of the bank holiday weekend taking a gazillion shots using my new favourite toy, my fisheye lens, much to the bemusement of my boyfriend, who thinks I'm a bit nuts and doesn't get why I love circular slightly blurry photos. What can I say!? They're FUN!

Comments

Popular Posts