Songs for a generation...

Maybe it's a sign of the times (or a sign of my age), but I accidentally stumbled across an album the other day that I never thought I'd like or listen to, and found a ton of songs that have not only become favourites on my playlist, but really resonate with modern life of the almost 30 somethings.

I have no idea how Lily Allen's album got onto my phone (I didn't even know we had it on the computer) but it did, and I listened to it. From such an unexpected source, came tunes surprisingly easy to listen to, with a clear and pretty voice singing about things I have experienced or thought about in the past few years of my life. I never expected someone I didn't consider a serious artist to be so topical. With songs about being hit on my letchy men in bars, drugs, or hitting 30 and being single, backed by a mix of reggae beats to country, her south London lilt noticeable and her added profanities for emphasis, I have to admit I actually really like both her albums. Ok, so I admit, not all her lyrics make sense in every song and they're not going to win a pullitzer prize, but there's a underlying humour and understanding of someone who's experienced what she sings about which I like.

I can only provide examples and lyrics to demonstrate how those of us hitting our 30's and let Lily describe in her own eloquent way our trials and tribulations...


Lily Allen - 22





When she was 22 the future looked bright
But she's nearly 30 now and she's out every night
I see that look in her face she's got that look in her eye
She's thinking how did I get here and wondering why


It's sad but it's true how society says
Her life is already over
There's nothing to do and there's nothing to say
Til the man of her dreams comes along picks her up and puts her over his shoulder
It seems so unlikely in this day and age


She's got an alright job but it's not a career
Wherever she thinks about it, it brings her to tears
Cause all she wants is a boyfriend
She gets one-night stands
She's thinking how did I get here
I'm doing all that I can


Lily Allen - Everything's Just Wonderful




Do you think, everything, everyone, is going mental,
It seems to me that it's spiraling outta control and it's inevitable,
Now don't you think,
This time is yours, this time is mine,
It's temperamental,
It seems to me, we're on all fours,
Crawling on our knees,
Someone help us please

Oh Jesus Christ almighty,
Do I feel alright? No not slightly,
I wanna get a flat I know I can't afford it,
It's just the bureaucrats who won't give me a mortgage,
Well it's very funny cos I got your f*cking money,
And I'm never gonna get it just because of my bad credit
Oh well I guess I mustn't grumble,
I suppose that's just the way the cookie crumbles.
 

Oh yes, I'm fine,
Everything's just wonderful,
I'm having the time of my life.

Don't you want something else,
Something new, than what we've got here,
And don't you feel it's all the same,
Some sick game and it's not insincere,
I wish I could change the ways of the world,
Make it a nice place
Until that day, I guess we stay,
Doing what we do
Screwing who we screw

Why can't I sleep at night,
Don't say it's gonna be alright,
I wanna be able to eat spaghetti bolognaise,
and not feel bad about it for days and days and days.
In the magazines they talk about weight loss,
If I buy those jeans I can look like Kate Moss,
Oh no it's not the life I chose,
But I guess that's the way that things go



Lily Allen - Him






Would you please take me away from this place
I cannot bear to see the look upon your faces
And if there is some kind of god do you think he's pleased
When he looks down on us I wonder what he sees
Do you think he'd think the things we do are a waste of time
Maybe he'd think we are getting on just fine
Do you think he's skint or financially secure
And come election time I wonder who he'd vote for

Ever since he can remember people have died in his good name
Long before that September
Long before hijacking planes
He's lost the will he can't decide
He doesn't know who's right or wrong
But there's one thing that he's sure of this has been going on too long

Do you think he'd drive in his car without insurance
Now is he interesting or do you think he'd bore us
Do you think his favourite type of human is caucasian
Do you reckon he's ever been done for tax evasion
Do you think he's any good at remembering people's names
Do you think he's ever taken smack or cocaine
I don't imagine he's ever been suicidal
His favourite band is Creedence Clearwater Revival

Comments

Popular Posts