A dusting of snow and transport havoc...

I wasn't intending on writing an entry until after I got back from Malta, but as I surfed the internet at lunch, these news stories made me laugh and I just had to post them! This weekend there's apparently going to be another cold snap in the UK and it might even snow... which probably means roads will be jammed, trains will go up the spout and everything will generally grind to a halt! Whilst reading about the imminent frosty weather, I came across some reader comments on the Sky news website at the bottom of the article which had me in fits (because they're SO true), namely:

When it rains - moan. When it is too hot - moan. When it is too cold - moan. When it snows - moan. When it doesn't snow - moan. Wonder why the rest of the world call you all whingeing poms?
Posted by L from Ipswich

I have to laugh at this country. I work for an American Bank in London. Every day I am in contact with my colleagues in our Chicago Office. Yesterday, Chicago received about 1ft of snow which settled onto previous layers which they have had in the last couple of weeks. The temperature yesterday was -20 degrees centigrade coupled with about 55 mph winds. The thing is, they carry on as if it was a normal spring day. The kids go to school, the parents go to work, the elderley generation go to their clubs and transport continues to function normally. In England, if we receive a centimetre of the white stuff, the whole country comes to a standstill. WHY? It is staggering to think that in this day and age the government are unable to produce a masterplan for want of a better word in preparation to combat severe weather, enabling us all to carry on as normal. Why spend a £1million pounds on fireworks over New Year that lasted 10 minutes in London? Spend it on the weather!
Posted by P from Leigh-on-Sea, Essex

What's a few flakes compared to the several feet I used to deal with when I lived in Alaska! Let it snow...let it snow...let it snow... *Does a snow dance*
Posted by D from London, UK

Reading that made me realise just how CRAP London Transport and the British Government really are... but then I remembered a news story I read in the newspaper yesterday which puts things in perspective... weather in China has gotten so bad that thousands of people are stranded... and we complain about our trains being half an hour late and having to stand all the way home?! (photos courtesy of BBC website).



So roll on Saturday is what I say... Malta (and hopefully some sun) here I come... see you in a week! MUAHAHAHAAHAAAA...

Comments

Popular Posts