Full term and 1st week of maternity leave

Well, I finally reached full term on Monday! That basically means baby is now fully grown and if she decided to make an appearance, she would not be considered premature anymore! I still have 2 & 1/2 weeks left until my due date though and I don't feel like she's planning to come out any time soon as I don't think her head is engaged (as in dropped into my pelvis to the point where I do that pregnant woman waddle like there's a bowling ball between my legs! I reckon I'd know if I was feeling that, right?). A blessing in one way as it means I'm only getting up ONCE to go to the loo in the middle of the night. A curse on the other hand as it means I have possibly many more weeks of back ache, headaches, insomnia and general huffiness at being a big fat lumbering heifer who can't tie her own shoelaces or get up from sitting on the floor without a winch!

For some reason I have this gut feeling she's going to be late. Not sure why... but we'll see! Hubby wants her to be born ON his birthday, which is a week early. He said it's tradition as he was born on his Yeh Yeh's (paternal grandfather) birthday. I pointed out it might suck a bit if his daughter was born on his birthday, as it would be all about her and everyone would forget about him, but he seemed quite happy with that fact! He's not a real birthday celebration kind of guy (although since he met me he gets a birthday celebration whether he damn well wants one or not! Haha!). Anyway I'd rather she was a few days early rather than a week. I want to enjoy my last few weeks of freedom and no work before she shows up!

This week is also my first week of maternity leave. So far it's been good! Lots of shopping (mainly browsing charity shops with mum... yes, I am a self confessed charity shop addict! One man's junk is another man's treasure! Don't knock it! I found a beautiful sake set on Tuesday for £1.50 unused! So ner!!) and not much sleep (even though I can now lie in bed and sleep ALL day if I wanted, my body doesn't seem to want to let me, and has been waking me up at 8:30 every morning with back ache. GRR). I'm tempted to bake some cakes, just to occupy myself, as I can't keep browsing the shops to kill time while hubs is at work. Also might choose a book to read while I still have time!

I've been really conscious of the fact we need to spend our last few weeks of baby free freedom wisely, so we've been catching up with friends at dinner and doing lots of interesting things, like going to the Animals inside Out exhibition at the Natural History Museum (really interesting, a bit expensive for the number of exhibits, but OMG the size of the elephant willy... bigger than hubs HEAD! And yes, out of everything at the highly educational exhibition, that is my one lasting memory. What can I say? It was HUGE.) and seeing the final Dark Knight Returns Batman film (the proper iMAX experience with premier seats, as hubby is a MASSIVE batman fan. Was well worth it! Easily the best film I've seen this year, and possibly last too!). It was also my (not so little anymore) sister's 30th birthday, so we had a wonderful michelin starred lunch at Chapter One, as well as a visit to Christmas tree farm to feed the animals (definitely a preview of things to come! Such fun watching all the kiddies shriek with laughter at the goats and sheep eating grain from their hands and awwing at the baby goats and bunnies). The only problem with all this last minute panic to cram as much in as possible into our last few weeks as "just the two of us" is that it's bloody expensive! But, I figure, it's important to have some us time. We won't get another chance til she leaves home! Ha!

It's mega exciting and a tad bit scary to think that in anywhere between a matter of days and 5 weeks, I'll be holding my little daughter IN MY ARMS! I am SO excited its ridiculous! I can just imagine cuddling her and smelling her yummy baby smelling head. EEK! Makes me super broody thinking about it! Funny as I must finally have bonded with my bump, as the thought of holding other people's babies doesn't really interest me. I just want to hold MINE!

Comments

Popular Posts