Squat magazine

I thought today I'd post about a very cool online magazine I read called Squat. My cousin is one of the editors and I recently approached her to see if they needed contributors. Considering the amount of review writing I pen on this blog, I figured I'd brushed up my creative writing skills enough to attempt something that will be seen by a wider audience!

For a bit of background on what exactly Squat is about, here's their editorial statement:
A Chinaman squats to rest, eat and shit. He has no chair: wood is for fuel. Squat was conceived by and for the British Chinese. It does not merely comment on British-Chinese fashion, life and culture; in fact, it cannot comment; it cannot see nor hear as it has no senses; it is the heartbeat. Squat is the reader. Readers explore and define Squat, with their words, with their images, with their lives, with their hearts. In other words, the reader is Squat.
A rather apt magazine to feature on a blog written by a mixed race British born Chinese I think! This issue has some very good reviews, including one on Kung Fu Dunk, Jay Chou's latest film which I watched myself last week. The title of the review says it all really... " Tries To Be A Hoops Version Of 'Shaolin Soccer'". Only thing the title missed was "and fails, miserably".

Anyway, I will be trying to get inspiration for a submission to the highstreet squatter feature, looking at fashion and gear... so if anyone has any ideas or requests please feel free to leave a message!

Comments

Popular Posts