The Forbidden Kingdom

I was lucky enough to see The Forbidden Kingdom last night (I shan't say how... wink wink). I'd seen the trailer at the cinema and was extremely excited as it features two of my favourite martial arts action stars, Jackie Chan and Jet Li. Both are very different kinds of actors, Jackie more of a comedy slap stick Kung Fu star, Jet Li more serious, but both have amazing Kung Fu skills. So, when I saw they were starring in a film together I HAD to watch it. My expectations were undoubtedly high due to the cast as well as action scenes being directed by Yuen Woo-ping (who's other films include the internationally successful Kung Fu Hustle). With hindsight, possibly foolishly so considering that all the 'westernised' Kung Fu films I've seen released by both actors pale in comparison to their original Hong Kong movies such as Fong Sai Yuk (one of my favourite Jet Li films) and Drunken Master (Jackie Chan film).

The film starts in America where a Kung Fu obsessed teen Jason Tripitikas (Michael Angarano) comes across an ancient staff in a bootleg DVD shop in China Town. From there, with lots of unexplained gaping plot holes, he ends up in a land like the movies he loves to watch (but where everyone seems to not only be able to speak Mandarin but 15 mins into the film inexplicably speak English as well). He meets Jackie who is an immortal drunken Kung Fu master and scholar, and silent monk Jet Li, as well as a musical orphan girl Golden Sparrow (Liu Yi Fei, who refers to herself in the third person throughout the whole film oddly). He discovers he must return the staff to the immortal Monkey King (also Li) who has been turned to stone, so that he can end the reign of the Jade Warlord (Collin Chou).

I have to admit, there are some good fight scenes and I did like some of the characters (especially the white haired witch Ni Chang (Li Bingbing), who looked very anime/manga), but the story glossed over far too many details. It seemed to be a mish-mash of Monkey Magic, old Jackie Chan and other Kung Fu films and 70's TV series. I suppose as it's aimed at the western audience, the majority of whom will go and see it and won't know or notice, but the film just seemed to be rather unoriginal. It neither sat in the Hong Kong cinema or Hollywood Kung Fu action film camps and left me with too many questions. I wouldn't say don't see it, but I would say possibly wait for DVD!

Comments

Popular Posts