SLR? Pfft! I have a camera phone!

As my regular readers are aware, I've been on a mission to complete a personal project to take one photo a day for a year (project 365). I have an obsession with photography and love taking shots with my Nikon D40x, but it's a little cumbersome to carry around with me ALL the time, so the majority of my photos for my project have been taken with my camera phone.

Most people assume that owning a professional looking SLR camera with a huge lens means you can automatically take professional photographs and to a certain extent this is true. Having an SLR with interchangeable lenses means you have more flexibility and control, but a simple point and shoot can easily do the same if you know how to use all the settings on your camera. Most point and shoot cameras have the same mega pixels as an SLR meaning you can blow the photos up to the same size if you print them out, and some have the ability to set the shutter speed, aperture etc as well.

The urge to get a bigger and flashier camera is something all photographers get (jokingly nicknamed upgraditis) but a simple camera phone can take some decent shots as well, with the help of some post processing on a computer. To demonstrate what I mean, I thought I'd show some of the better photos I've captured using my Sony Ericsson K800i 3.2 mega pixel camera phone. A lot have been mistaken to have been shot with my Nikon on Flickr, which just goes to show you don't need a flashy camera to get a good shot!

Reflecting

Delphiniums

Lily

Tate Modern street art

Tate Modern Street art

Cornwall door

Comments

Anonymous said…
re: your camera phone blog: "Most people assume that owning a professional looking SLR camera with a huge lens means you can automatically take professional photographs and to a certain extent this is true." ... Not to mention paparazzi-ing your sister on holiday! LOL! (BTW, I think your project 365 link doesn't work) :(

Popular Posts