Ho ho ho... a nano snowman...


Physicists have created the world’s smallest snow man… using, and I quote, “two tin beads used to calibrate electron microscope astigmatism. The eyes and smile were milled using a focused ion beam, and the nose, which is under 1 µm wide (or 0.001 mm), is ion beam deposited platinum.”. I wonder how much THAT cost to make then…

How COOL is that?! A perfectly formed snowman the 1/5th the width of a human hair!!! Obviously said physicists were not busy doing other, more productive physics related scientific things that physicists do on a daily basis… whatever they may be… plotting trajectories of particles through space… or something… I dunno…

Yes, my geeky side is having a field day with all these pointless scientific posts popping up in my RSS feeds this week…

Comments

Popular Posts