Slumdog Millionaire

On the loooong flight back from Hong Kong, I couldn't resist watching a couple of movies (even though I knew I should be avoiding impending jet lag and sleeping!) so I finally got round to watching Slumdog Millionaire, the award winning film about a boy raised in the slums of India who won Who wants to be a millionaire.

As with all high profile movies, I was reserving judgement as they never quite live up to the hype. This one is no exception. Admittedly, it's a brilliant film, well shot, excellent acting and gritty storyline. It grabbed my attention and had me biting my nails with anticipation in parts, but it wasn't the jaw dropping film I was hearing about. The film certainly does the job in opening the west's eyes to the poverty, discrimination and hardship of those living in the slums of India. There's also a certain irony in the sense of art imitating life, with the younger cast members of the film genuinely coming from the Indian slums and being housed in proper accommodation after a public outcry post-awards ceremony trip.

Without giving the plot away, I'd say this isn't the feel good movie it's touted to be. Yes, there is a happy ending, but I was still left feeling a black void knowing that the main characters went through such painful and hard childhoods... something I'm sure many an Indian child experiences routinely. Definitely worth watching however. Thumbs up.

Comments

Popular Posts