Mumbai attacks


So I'd gone a week without blogging about the terrorist attacks in Mumbai, but I finally relented and decided to write something today when I saw the news article saying that the events were being described as India's 9/11... and worse than the attack on NY. The comment got me thinking. It's almost like it's a competition, who can claim the worst damage. Regardless of body count and devastation, loss of life is loss of life. When it's on your door step, it's far more real. It's far more shocking. We read about soldiers being killed in Afghanistan and Iraq every week, but it's news that the eyes skim over, almost de-sensitised to the frequency of reports. But when it's a British soldier, it's headline news. It's 'one of us'. The public take notice. When the terrorist gunmen were thought to be British, the Mumbai siege suddenly took more of a front seat. I guess my point is that it's sad that with so many horrific things happening in the world, the news has become like white noise, a constant chatter of death and hate crimes, and only when something happens to directly affect us does that buzz of horrific occurrences become a blindingly clear note to which we take notice.

So I will take time to think about those who were killed in India. Regardless of whether they were tourists or citizens of the country. I'll take a moment to think of their families and the loss they've experienced. Just as I do every time I read a report about another soldier loosing his life in Afghanistan and Iraq. Because life doesn't just revolve around the UK. And the losses their lives have brought about may not affect me in any way. But out there, someone is crying for them. So I'll take time to think of them. And selfishly pray I never know how they feel.

Comments

Popular Posts