Friend feed

As you all know, I'm a real internet addict... with facebook, twitter, flickr, youtube and blogger accounts as well as RSS feed readers that I check daily for both work and personal use. So when I came across this article on Friend Feed, it of course caught my eye. I'd been looking for some kind of 'life stream' feed aggregator for the side bar in the blog, combining my twitter updates and other bits and bobs I wanted to share, without adding a million different boxes cluttering up the page... but once I signed up, it got me thinking... do I really want a running record of my every online movement? Technology has gotten so advanced that you could practically log and broadcast every bookmark you make, photo you upload and page you look at. Would you really want the big wide world keeping track of everything? Would anyone even care enough to look? Evidently, I decided to go ahead and sign up anyway as you can see! Ok, so perhaps you could argue that it's information overload and 'putting yourself out there' too much, but as with anything, you can be selective about what you share. I only added my flickr activity (a shameless attempt to get my photography viewed to a wider audience), my twitter updates (which were already on my blog) and my google reader shared items. I decided I didn't fancy encouraging a host of unwanted friend requests and omitted my facebook feed, and also decided against adding my youtube activity as let's face it, I'm supposed to be anonymous to the general public and there's far too many idiotic clips I've uploaded of me being well... idiotic.

So, now I have added yet another 'web 2.0' application to my bank of websites and social networking collection. In theory, once you sign up, you never need to do anything with it again... just let it pick up your online activity to share... but I'm sure I'll be fiddling with it at some point so change settings etc etc...

*sigh* I admit... I am a total and utter geek. I embrace it. Aren't you all glad...

Comments

Popular Posts