Speed dating... the result

Ok, so I can finally say I've tried speed dating. After not really knowing what to expect, I can honestly say it was certainly... *ahem* an experience... but possibly one I won't be putting myself through again. Ok, so it wasn't as painful as I thought it would be, but it wasn't particularly enjoyable either. I'm surprised anyone actually meets a partner at these kind of events, purely because after speaking to the first couple of people you're bored sick of answering the same questions over and over.

When we arrived (at the last possible minute for fear of scoping the room wanting to run away before it even began), we registered and got a name badge and score card to write people's numbers, names and comments on. Scanning the room, the guys weren't the geeky Napoleon Dynamite look-a-likes I'd been expecting. Most were well dressed business types with a smattering of guys who'd obviously gone for the dress down approach verging on over casual sportswear. We took our seats on ridiculously low sofas dotted around the bar and waited for the bell to ring. Guy number 1 started off well... an Aussie Chinese guy. No sparks flew though and after a brief 3 minute chat the bell rang and the next guy sat down. After that it all went downhill... 3 minutes of "so what do you do for a job" and "where do you live?" (which I LIED about just to be safe) repeated over and over started to wear thin. There also was no time at all to jot down any notes about each guy without being rude and scribbling down key pointers such as "total nut job" whilst he was still there waiting for the space next to him to become vacant.

A few guys admittedly did stick in my mind however... for ALL the wrong reasons. Guy number 12, who joked about taking heroin in his spare time, was a pile of laughs and obviously thought he was a stand up comedian (I'm not sure if the sarcasm is coming across here but believe me, I'm trying...). Guy number 11 talked AT me for the full 3 minutes and guy number 8 looked freakishly like Norman Bates from psycho, down to the side parted hair and grey suit.

Guy 7, a Welsh Asian guy who not only resembled John Tickle from Big Brother (google it people), but had all his mannerisms as well, was acting like he was on speed. This was explained when he informed me that he was very sorry for not sitting still in his seat but he was dying for the loo and was just waiting for the bell to ring, which it did that second and he literally RAN out the room. Great chat up line there... don't know WHY a class act like him needed to go speed dating to pick up girls (is the sarcasm evaporating off the monitor like a dark fog yet?! haha).

Then we had guy number 3 who looked a lot like Chuckie from the Rugrats (Live and Kicking breakfast cartoon of the 90's.... showing my age...) and who had the LIMPEST CLAMMIEST handshake in the world. Guy number 2 was wearing the worst hawaiian shirt in the world and made me want to stick my pencil in my ears to stop the auditory barrage of one liners... classics like "Are you mixed because you look really exotic and mixed girls are gorgeous" and the age old favourite "I really can't believe you're single, you're stunning" and rounded off with a leaving comment of "Gorgeous eyes by the way". I just threw up in my mouth just a little.... I was truly expecting him to cock his finger like a gun, wink and come out with a Fonzy style 'heyyyyy' at the end. But the best candidate of the evening had to be guy number 5, who sat FAR too close to me on the stool and informed me that he currently unemployed as he'd jacked in his IT job to either be a stunt double, or a male gigolo... but only if he didn't have to sleep with wrinkly old women, people in wheel chairs, or men (which I found out after, he'd told every single other girl too.. with differing degrees of variation).

To be fair, there were a couple of guys who were interesting to talk to and not socially inept as the rest. The second to last guy, although not my type, was funny, and it was refreshing to be asked "What t-shirt do you own that describes you the best" rather than the bog standard questions of the others (which of course I replied, my Spongebob Squarepants t-shirt of course!). I was surprised at how many guys there had come alone (something I'm pretty sure us girls would NEVER do, being totally incapable to even go to the toilets in gangs of less than two and considering we turned up in a 6 strong group). One guy told me his work colleague had paid for him to attend, told him this morning and then left him to come on his tod (which sounded slightly odd to me, but then who am I to judge!). Going into this with no expectations, I genuinely went with the idea to have a laugh and possibly make new friends. In all seriousness, without being callous and mean, the majority of the guys really were ODD. Perhaps the weirdos over shadowed the nicer guys and that's all that stuck in my head. Looks and superficiality aside, I really didn't click with anyone personality wise although I DID have a giggle. I'm glad I went and experienced it, as it's something I can say I've done.

So, what's my overall impression of speed dating... I don't think I really need to answer that one do I? I think I'll stick to meeting guys through friends... HAHA

Comments

Xepher said…
Please don't make live & kicking/rugrats a marker for agedness... i remember them ...i've only recently changed demographic but do not want to be labelled as "old cogger" yet. :P hahah

Thank you kindly

Sincerely

Xand
Anonymous said…
why not just say you are irish? the tetchy nervous bbc just totally ruins the show again imo. something about alot of bbcs that really winds me up tbh. just thought i will make my views known. i have been to a bbc meet before, and i got on better with a girl from urumqi in mainland china. somthing about my ability in mandarin and cantonese, and my aims to work in hk in a nice hotel which turns em off.
Sweetpea said…
Eh? What's me being half Irish got to do with anything? This was an English speed dating event, not a BBC one... I have nothing against BBC meets, I've been to them in the past and found everyone really friendly and a good laugh. And I do hope you weren't calling ME tetchy and nervous because I am not and was not either at speed dating. Me thinks you may want to read the post properly before commenting... just a suggestion dude! :o)

Popular Posts