Constant nightmares

Ok, so I've been really rubbish at posting recently and I apologise. Things have been hectic of late, mainly due to my constant partying, eating out and working like a typing crazy, email generating fiend at work (to the point where I had to have my keyboard replaced as I'd rubbed off all the letters on the keys!). So, anyway I'm back from Cornwall and have a spare few moments to say "hi!" and write a semi-decent post.

I was going to say back from Cornwall, relaxed and well rested, and this would be partially true had it not been for the constant sleep disrupting nightmares I seem to be having recently. Now, I've always had lucid dreams, none of which make sense and all of which come from some over imaginative, slightly twisted, deep dark recess of my brain. I mean, who else dreams about an over sized ginger tabby cat giving a person in a chair a facial with a potato peeler?! (yes, I did dream that years ago, and no I have absolutely NO idea why!). Usually, odd as they are, my dreams are never really concerning or upsetting, and I'm lucky enough to remember most of them on awakening to write them all in a dream journal. I forget them hours later so reading back my dreams from time to time can be extremely amusing.

Anyway, for some reason, over the entire bank holiday weekend, I've been having really horrible dreams which have left me upset, unnerved and exhausted. One dream left me feeling particularly uncomfortable and I have absolutely no clue where it came from. It was like watching a film, the dream didn't involve me at all. My vision panned across a graveyard full of graves of fallen soldiers from Iraq. Rows and rows of tombstones spanned across the grass, and to the left were open graves lined with sacking, waiting for the bodies of those who had not yet been killed in action. A family were walking across the grass and a young boy was running around between the graves playing. His father grabbed him by the elbow and told him off for being disrespectful to the dead. "Imagine what these men have gone through? Have some respect." he said. Then the scene changed as his father described a scenario one of the soldiers had experienced. Rebels had captured someone, yet it was the boy who lay strapped to the chair not the soldier. They were interrogating him but he would not give away any information, so they injected him in the neck to sedate him. Vision swimming, the boy eventually came to, only to see a scalpel poised above his eye. He starts moaning "no... no..." as his tormentor brings the blade down onto his eye and cuts a circular incision around his iris, repeating the same on the other eye. The cut begins to bead with blood, his blue eyes welling with red, and his iris collapses into his eyeball, leaving a dark hole. The boy is blinded. Then I awoke.

Reading it back, as gory as it sounds, I guess it's not that horrifying, but it still left me feeling drained and upset. The other dreams all kind of follow the same train of thought... soldiers killed in battle, all with graphic detail. Let's hope it's a passing phase though, as the bags under my eyes are beginning to become suitcases. I'd rather not dream at all!

Comments

Popular Posts