888

Well, today is a very auspicious and lucky day for us Chinese!! As I've mentioned in past posts, we're a superstitious bunch, and the number 8 carries a lot of weight with people from asia. Unless you've been in a coma, abducted by aliens or just had your head stuck in a bucket, you will know that today was picked as the opening day of the olympics in Beijing purely because it's the 8th day of the 8th month 2008. I could write an entire ESSAY on the run up to the Beijing olympics (which I am sure to do at some point) what with all the funny English-Chinese signage translations, bad press, security measures, environmental issues and political protests that have been plastered all over the media... but I shall save that for another, less fortuitous day.

Well, today has gotten off to a good start for me anyway. We're moving offices and have had to pack up our desks and PC's... which means no computer... which means no work... we get half the day off! What a result! Plus I have a jam packed evening of bar hopping to look forward to tonight... I can tell 8.8.08 is going to be a good day....

The other interesting event I spotted today was the Flickr group Flickr 888. In honour of this special day, Flickr have set up a group for users to post photos taken on and only on the 8th of August 2008. I will, of course, be taking a photo to submit. Maybe it can double up as today's Project 365 photo.

Anyway, that's all folks... I'm off to do some last minute packing and I'm off to the pub...

Comments

Popular Posts