Junk food and Shakespeare

Malaysian dancers
Well, what a jam packed weekend I had. True to form, the British summer weather was rubbish and like a true brit, we didn't let it stop us having fun. Friday evening was rather civilised with no alcohol consumption involved (a rareity for me these days, believe me) as I met friends at Gourmet Burger Kitchen in Canary Wharf. After wrestling with a 6 inch tall kiwiburger (no exaggeration) complete with fried egg, beetroot and onion we went for a coffee at Cafe Rouge. Then my quiet evening was finished off with a Mario Kart match with 2 friends via the internet on our DS's... good thing they weren't in the same room or they'd have heard the blue language spilling from my lips... I was 1st for 3 laps only to get bombed yards from the finish and come 3rd. Grrr


Saturday was slightly damp but I still braved the weather and ventured to the Malaysian festival, which was disappointingly small. After watching the Malay dancers and scoffing some roti and lentil curry, my friend and I ended up strolling all the way from Tower Bridge to The Tate Modern. Got some fantastic shots as we walked along, not to mention a very full tummy thanks to the detour through Borough Market (oops there goes that diet!). The food fest was continued with the biggest fattest oyster I've ever had, which resulted in sea water dripping down my chin as it was SO large I couldn't fit the whole thing in my mouth and had to chew mid slurp. This was then washed down with a bottle of Dandelion and Burdock and then I was bullied into eating a 99 cone whilst watching BMX bikers under the Royal Festival Hall.

BMX grafitti

Saturday evening I consumed enough alcohol to compensate for NOT drinking Friday night, as I managed to go to two different parties. The evening started rather well with a sex and the city style dinner at Axis and cocktails at Jewel bar in Covent Garden... and then I pegged it to the dome in Greenwich to Thai Silk to meet other friends, which was decidely less reserved and civilised and involved vodka shots and far too many G&T's. I was totally over dressed but it was a good laugh and the night was rounded off with a cross London trip to China Town to eat at 3am.

Sunday, I awoke wishing I HADN'T drunk the vodka shots and G&T's on top of all the wine and cocktails I'd consumed beforehand, and clutching my head set off for Greenwich to watch The taming of the shrew in Greenwich park. The weather obviously took one glance at our picnic blankets and laughed it's ass off as the clouds opened up and pelted us with the wet stuff the second we sat down. The majority of the performance was watched huddled under a golf umbrella as I ate an assortment of sandwich ham, sweets, crisps, cornflake cakes and roast chicken and tried to shield my trainers (which I had removed to sit on the blanket) from the pouring rain.

So in all, a very healthy weekend... not. This week is going to have to involve some major exercise to work off all the rubbish I ate over the weekend. Although, I'm not entirely sure WHEN I'll get a chance as this week is just as ram packed as the last.. starting with speed dating tomorrow. Let the games begin! argh.

Comments

Anonymous said…
you came 3rd in all the races... so in fact, you were quite consistant throughout :p
Sweetpea said…
Pah only coz you and your other half ganged up against me! And you forget I won ONE round of three races remember?! Don't worry, I'm kicking your BUTT next time... muahahahaaa
Anonymous said…
there were no ganging up of anysort, if you saw us, we were fighting against eachother too... we were laughing our asses of when we realised you came last in that one where you were leading all the way :p
Sweetpea said…
I KNOW!! Gutted!! Think I need to practice my power slide... muahahahaaa... good thing you weren't on speaker phone any more... you'd have heard me SWEARING LOUDLY! Think I made up entirely NEW swear words that night haha
Timothy said…
I'm of the thought that any Cafe Rouge London is for caffee/tea and nothing more. I just can't see it as anything more than a coffee shop, a great coffee shop but just a coffee shop. I would never think of going for lunch or dineer there.

Popular Posts