Let the scandals.. er... I mean games... begin...

As expected, with the Beijing olympics well under way, so the scandals start surfacing. China has copped a lot of flack for various things in the run up to the games, with repeated news stories on excessive security, human rights and pollution issues to name a few... and they were always going to come up against these kind of problems when they were chosen for the games. It's expected. I have to admit that all the criticism aside, I was truly proud of my Chinese heritage as I watched the opening ceremony. It was an awe inspiring example of culture, art and history... something many countries would struggle to match thanks to China's long standing and far reaching ancestry...

But the latest story to appear in the news shocked me... and had to make me laugh, mainly because of China's boldness. China is renound for it's huge fake goods trade, but I never in a million years would have thought that they would fake the olympics opening ceremony. I personally sat there in awe, staring at the TV screen with my mouth open as I watched a series of stunning fireworks simulating giant footprints striding across Beijing. But, it seems even this was not immune to China's fakery. The fireworks were apparently not real. The footage shown across the world, and even on the screens within the olympic stadium was actually a computer generated animation, complete with camera shake and added smog. China defended the clip stating that the footprint fireworks did take place but deemed unsafe to film live, so the fake footage was broadcast in it's place. Whether this is true only those in Beijing will know, but for some it's definitely tarnished what was considered a fantastic example of creativity, national pride and historical importance.

It seems China's obsession with perfection also meant that the nine year old girl who sang in the opening ceremony was not actually singing. Seven year old Yang Peiyi's voice was heard singing “Ode to the Motherland”, yet it was Lin Miaoke who stood in front of a captivated audience because Yang was not flawless looks-wise. Lin is a country wide star thanks to her appearance at the games, so I feel heart felt sympathy for poor Yang who's voice was deemed beautiful enough to use but not her face. In typical Chinese patriotism, Yang says she is satisfied to have had her voice used in the ceremony.

I'm sure more fakeries and scandals will surface as the games proceed.... and although I found the fireworks fakery humerous, I have to admit that the surfacing story of Yang and Lin only highlights a Chinese culture of perfectionism and pressure on their young which I find slightly disturbing. So shoot me for having an opinion...

Comments

Popular Posts