Things I have learnt during pregnancy

I can't believe I am now down to single digits in the count down to the big arrival! I've been foolishly counting down the days until my maternity leave starts, but only just realised that once I do finish work, I'll only have between 1 and 5 weeks until baby makes an appearance (factoring in she could be 2 weeks late to 2 weeks early)!

Anyway, as I'm on the final home stretch(ish), I thought I'd share a few of the things I learnt during my pregnancy so far...
  1. The first 3 months will drag and drag and drag as you wait to reach the monumental 12 week mark and can finally stop stressing.
  2. You don't stop stressing after the 12 week mark! If you're anything like me, you'll be constantly looking up symptoms online to check if they're normal.
  3. Don't google symptoms. It just freaks you out as you'll go the web for reassurance and end up reading horror stories instead. Call your midwife with any questions you may have! 
  4. Similarly, don't join discussion forums until you're further along in your pregnancy. Joining "birth groups" of pregnant women due the same month, means you see a lot of "sadly I'm leaving the boards" messages as women unfortunately miscarry. It will just upset and necessarily worry you.
  5. You'll get a ton of pregnancy symptoms you never even knew about before you conceived. These can include... and I apologise now if this is too much information... (you won't get these all at once and won't get all of them, but will get more as you near the end of pregnancy):
    • headaches
    • constipation
    • period pains
    • spotting/bleeding
    • dizziness
    • swollen ankles/feet/hands
    • teenage breakouts of acne/spots
    • insatiable appetite
    • piles/haemorrhoids
    • carpel tunnel syndrome/dead arms/hands
    • leg cramps
    • nausea/morning sickness
    • increased discharge (panty liners are definitely a good idea in the later stages!)
    • acid reflux/heartburn
    • crazy crazy crazy dreams
    • hot flushes
  6. Don't freak out at every little thing. For example, black poo doesn't necessarily mean there's something seriously wrong with you or baby... it could simply be you've just eaten an entire punnet of blueberries the day before (yes, I did do that!).
  7. Every month you'll look at your bump and think OMG I'm huge... then you'll do the same thing the following month. You'll just keep getting bigger!
  8. People will analyse your bump and insist you're having a boy/girl, ask if you're sure you got your dates right because you're huge/tiny, will grope, stroke, rest their EARS (yes someone I hardly know has repeatedly done that to me!) on your bump... ignore it all! If it really bugs you, speak up.
  9. You'll freak out when you think baby hasn't moved all day, and you'll grumble when they bounce on your bladder and stick feet into your ribs!
  10. You'll use "cravings" as an excuse when you really fancy another ice cream or chocolate bar.
  11. Baby brain can strike at any time, usually when you're in a meeting and mid sentence (again, guilty as charged).
  12. Wearing a baby on board badge and having a huge bump does not mean people will give you a seat. You'll eventually have to pick on someone, speak up and ask.
  13. Your feet really DO get bigger.
  14. Your contacts WILL start getting uncomfortable and glasses may end up being tempting, no matter how much you hate wearing them.
  15. You'll worry that you haven't bonded with your bump immediately like all the other mum's seem to, but it'll come with time. Mine wasn't until I had a 28 week 3D scan.
  16. Antenatal NHS classes are NOT like the TV. There's no breathing techniques, birthing hints and tips like you see in the films. If you want information, go online or pay for classes.
I've probably made being pregnant sound horrific but it really isn't... it's wonderful! You'll love the kicks and rubbing your belly and talking about being pregnant to anyone that will listen! I'm sure I've forgotten loads of things off this list so maybe I'll revisit it again and add to it later!

Comments

Popular Posts