Snow standstill




Oh yes. I am eating my words. Me three days ago: "squeeee!!!! It's going to snowwwwww!!! Yaaaaay!!". Me today: "oh bugger. Its snowing. A lot." Obviously time seems to have an amnesial effect (is that a word?! Or have I just made it up?! Oh well, it's a word now! Amnesial!) on my brain, as I apparently forgot how utterly crap England is when it snows!! Last time it snowed I ended up having to do a 3 hour march from Beckenham to Bromley, getting home at 10pm (I left work at 5!) after Southeastern Trains once again ground to a halt and cars stood unmanned on the roads. So after numerous texts and emails from my Dad, sister and Kimchi which heavily featured exclamation marks, I was understandably worried about my return journey home. Looking out the office window, yes there was snow, but the ground was just a slushy grey sludge. So I waited until 4pm to leave (instead of my planned 3pm). Thank GOD I didn't wait longer! By the time I got back, the TV showed Victoria station RAMMED with desperate commuters (some of whom live in Beckenham and Bromley and can't get home) and a raft of cancelled trains on the departure boards. Lucky me to get a train! But I still had a long trudge back from the station, a shorter 45 mins instead of 180 though! Gritters were supposed to have been out in force, prepared after the last winter farce... but ummm can't see much evidence of that, considering I was moving faster than the cars tonight! Jack-knifed lorries. Abandoned cars. 8 inch deep snow. Yeah don't think the gritters did their thing!

AND sods law, our boiler chose the first day of snowy blizzards to pack up. We now have no hot water and no heating. Thank GOD I paid for boiler insurance 2 weeks ago!! The guy only came last week to service it! Fingers crossed it's an easy fix and not requiring a whole new boiler!! *gulp*



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Comments

Popular Posts