Human dolls houses


One thing I love about my commute, is looking at all the flats as the train whizzes past them. It's like a brief window into someone's life. The huge (rather ugly) block of council flats in Elephant & Castle, which is now vacant and derelict, used to fascinate me every time I saw it. Row upon row of neat little square flats, each with a light on above the front door, like a huge filing cabinet. Each door, with a person or family inside. Different lounges. Different bedrooms. Different people. Each with their own worries. Their own achievements. Their own stories. Each time I passed the block I'd mentally remove the front of the block, like a giant dolls house, and imagine what each flat looked like and what could be going on inside.

(yes. That is the kind of thing my mind thinks about when I'm on my own. It's not thinking about what to have for dinner or whether I switched the hair straighteners off... Ok I lie. It does think about that sometimes as I can never remember. I seem to have a black hole in my memory when it comes to GHDs and the power switch. But most of the time, I'm genuinely day dreaming. Making up stories in my head. I'm mad. I know. I like to think of it as quirky. It sounds cuter than mad).

Anyway. Train. Yes I love watching the tower blocks go past. Most flats seem to have balconies looking over the train lines, so you get a great view of what people put in the space they think no one can see. Mops. Toys. Potted plants. Even telescopes. And the train also passes high up over railway bridges, above rooftop gardens. Some Londoners have impressive rooftop gardens!!

But I bet the majority of commuters miss all this. They sleep. They work, replying to emails on their Blackberrys before they get to the office. They read The Metro and the latest news on who got voted off the X Factor. They blankly stare out the window. They are asleep. With their eyes open. And they miss all the interesting life stories that are going on just outside the train window.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Comments

Popular Posts