Back from the Brecons!






I'm back from Wales and in one piece... The Brecon Beacons were beautiful! The rolling green hills and blue sky were really pretty and there was quite a lot of wildlife out there to see. On Saturday we got up really early and my boyf followed our friends in the car up the M4 to Wales. Crossing over the bridge into Wales was weird as the sun was out and made the river steam so the top of the bridge was hidden in fog, but the sun still shone through quite brightly. We got to the hotel, the Maesllwch Arms in Glasbury around midday and checked in and then headed to the horse riding stables. My horse was called Sam and my boyf's Sally. I didn't realise but I now know I am very allergic to horses as I spent most of the trek sneezing with my nose streaming. The trek was fun but it got a bit boring as we just plodded along country lanes for half of it. The other half was through the woods which was better, but I was stuck at the back with nothing but a row of horses bums and backs to look at and the girl in front was constantly struggling with her horse as it decided to stop every 50 yards to eat grass. I saw a falcon or eagle in the woods which everyone else missed and the view from the top of the hills was very pretty, but I was glad to get off by the end as I was constantly sneezing. By the time we got back to the hotel, my face was in blotches and my eyes looked like I'd been punched in the face. I had a swollen eye all night after that. We had dinner in a nice hotel restaurant in Hay-on-Wye called the The Old Black Lion. It wasn't cheap but the food was good.

Sunday we had breakfast and then relaxed until it was time to go kayaking. The canoeing place was 2 mins walk from our hotel and was called Wye Valley canoes. We were instructed on the tricky bits in the river, got our kayaks and life jackets and paddles and were launched into the river one by one. It was really relaxing rowing down the river, although the boys had a race and did lots of splashing... One of my friends decided to get revenge on my boyfriend for splashing him by waiting until he ran aground to go for a pee and pushed his kayak out into the river so he'd have to swim to get it... I managed to tow it back to him but it was pretty funny! We were all really tired by the end of it though! We went to have ice cream in Hay-on-Wye as my boyf had a craving so we went to Shepherds Ice Cream parlour (we practically RAN as he was afraid it was closed) and bought a 5 scoop tub with mocha, banana toffee, pistachio, chocolate and some other flavour which escapes me. We had dinner at a pub in Three Cocks and then went back to the hotel and crashed out really early.

Monday we checked out and went to Brecon. we had a wander round the market and had roast hog in a bun and sat in the beer garden of the Castle hotel. The view from the beer garden was really pretty as you could see over the hills. Then we headed back to London and got stuck in tons of traffic along the M4 as there were a few accidents and people always slow down to have a good look!

Now I'm back at work... the weekend was a needed break so hopefully it will keep me going until Canada!

Comments

Popular Posts