Cranial osteopathy & reflux

Since munchkin was 8 weeks old, she's hated feeds. She's thrash around, shake her head to avoid the bottle, cry and refuse to drink. Feeding times were a nightmare and I'd have to pin her arms down and follow her head with the bottle until she gave in and drank. I came to dread every 3 hours. Countless health visitors were less than helpful, stating she probably wasn't hungry and was following her curve (because I was practically force feeding her) and after self diagnosing silent reflux and putting her on Aptamil anti reflux she only improved slightly. I was at my wits end. I felt like I had to dash home before feeds as I'd get stares from annoyed people when I tried to feed her in coffee shops. I was genuinely getting depressed. I wanted to enjoy my baby but instead I dreaded having to feed her and all I could think about between feeds was how long I had to go until the next one.

After a friend recommended cranio osteopathy, I thought I'd try anything if it might make her better. I booked an appointment with the Atman clinic in Tunbridge Wells, fairly far from home. We stupidly missed our turning off the M25 and typically got stuck in roadworks all the way to the next exit and back. We missed over half out appointment! The osteopath Nicola was lovely and sped through the initial questions to get on to the actual treatment. I laid munchkin down on the treatment bed, and Nicola placed her hands under munchkin's neck and back. I couldn't see her do anything but munchkin grumbled a little bit. After working down her spine and then placing her hands and applying gentle pressure to her skull, Nicola got two tuning forks out and struck them on the bed to make them ring. She then waved them above munchkins head and below her feet. She did the same with her sitting up either side of her torso. Then she instructed me to lay her down again and struck a different tuning fork, which she wafted along her length. She told me she could hear a difference in pitch over munchkins stomach and grabbed a second tuning fork which she rang and held against munchkins stomach. She repeated this until she was satisfied the problem was resolved.

That week, I had a different baby! She took the teat into her mouth and drank with zero fuss, and has done ever since! Whatever Nicola did, it worked!! We had a follow up appointment and Nicola went through the same process but said munchkin was fine and required no further treatment and only charged us a minimal fee! After the second appointment, munchkin had an EPIC nap of two hours. After an hour and a half I even prodded her to see if she was still breathing and she didn't even stir!

So if anyone has feeding problems/reflux issues I can't recommend cranial osteopathy enough!! It may not work for everyone but we were lucky and after 10 minutes of treatment our baby was like new! The best £45 I've ever spent!

Comments

Popular Posts