Sherlock Holmes

The other day I finally got round to seeing Sherlock Holmes. When I saw the trailer months before, it promised explosions, start to finish action and witty one liners. To tell the truth, I was afraid that, as with so many films, I'd seen the best of the film already. My fears were unfounded.

When Lord Blackwood, a serial killer with ties to secret societies and the black arts, apparently rises from the dead after a date with the hangman's noose, Sherlock's intrigue forces him to investigate, dragging a reluctant Watson along for the ride.

Ok, so Sherlock wasn't the stereotypical super sleuth were accustomed to seeing on TV and silver screen. There was no hooked nose, no tartan flap eared cap. There was no element of old English gentleman about him at all. In fact, he was more a rouge, a theif and a cad. Watson was more the sensible of the pair, keeping his dog on a loose leash. There were elements of the books incorporated so as not to divert too far from familiarity. His love of the pipe and violin, and the cameo appearance of his faceless nemesis Professor Moriarty. And it worked. The diologue was funny, the storyline clever and the characters well cast (although I initially had my doubts about Robert Downy Jr as Holmes). Someone described the film as Die Hard, set in old England, and in a way it's an accurate description, given the explosions, action and humourous banter between the two male leads, but the storyline isn't quite as far fetched, and the action not too unbelievable. A good cinema film, which had me laughing and gasping in good amounts. Not surprising, considering it's a Guy Ritchie film. Very watchable!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Comments

Popular Posts