My hunt for hakka food...

So last night I made my favourite red belly pork dish using red rice (紅曲米 hóngqūmǐ). Ok it didn't turn out nearly as good as my Por Pors (but I suspect I was too light on the sugar and used shaoxing wine instead of sweeter sherry) but it got me thinking, what other Hakka dishes are there out there that I've eaten all my life and not learnt to cook. It got me digging around on google and I found some great blogs and resources!



Hakka food blog
I'm definitely going to be cooking dishes from here, especially the Meicai Kou Rou 梅菜扣肉,  (belly pork with preserved vegetables) which I LOVE and the stuffed tofu (which Por Por varies with marrow).They even have photos of the Mi Cou Pun (steamed rice cake) but it's not the same as the one Por Por makes.

Food trails
This is a recipe for prawn paste chicken posted on Flickr, which also uses red rice and looks YUM!

Hakka food on facebook
A great group with loads of links to Hakka food recipe websites!

Asian recipes Hakka corner
Tons and tons of Hakka recipes here , including chive pancakes, pork belly with preserved vegetables (again) and pigs trotters (YUM!!!).

Comments

Popular Posts