Wonder putty!


Who remembers the silly putty of their childhoods? Soft rubbery stuff that you used to make fart noises with and copy newspaper print (resulting in a nice lime green blob of mouldable plastic turning into something resembling bogies). Well, now there's a grown-up version, Sugru!

Dubbed as the material to 'hack thing better', Sugru is a malleable putty that can be shaped into anything and sets at room temperate into a tough silicone. Imagine the possibilities! This stuff basically enables you to make ANYTHING! You can mod everything you own! I can think of a million uses just to do with my camera! Camera stands, lens cap holders, improved camera grips... the possibilities are endless! Yes, as you can tell, I'm a tad bit excited at the prospect of puttying-up my belongings. A life full of hackilicious goodness. Never again will I complain that my 18-200mm lens is too heavy when attached to my camera. I'll just putty the big boy up with a me-made silicone stand. Ahh bliss.

Now, I just need to get my hands on some of this stuff.... apparently the first 1000 packs sold out completely in six hours.

... I wonder if it comes in pink....

EDIT:

Sooooo... apparently Sugru are promoting Hack-quariums! Basically, a tupperware party for putty. You all get together, have a play, and say what you think and what you'd use it for. The skinny from Sugru is:

Introducing the HACKquarium
While we're scaling up, we want as many of you as possible to play with and enjoy sugru, so we had an idea. Why don't you lot host HACKquariums (HACKquaria?) ... all over the world?

"What's a HACKquarium?" I hear you ask. Good question - we just made it up. A HACKquarium is a locally hosted night where you get to meet fellow hackers, have a few drinks and stick loads of sugru on your stuff.

You provide the venue and the hackers, and we'll provide massive lumps of sugru (for free!), as well as some instructional videos and a guide to making your HACKquarium kick ass. We're also looking for someone to provide the beer, but no promises.

What's that? You can't make it to a HACKquarium?
No problem. Send photos of your most hackable stuff (broken, imperfect or just in need of some extra awesomeness) to ireallyneedsome@sugru.com and we'll choose the best ones and send you a sachet or two.
Naturally, I want to host one! I want me some puttylicious goodness! So, who's in? Leave me a comment or tweet me!

Comments

Anonymous said…
ME ME ME!

Popular Posts