Multimedia Mandarin

I haven't exactly hidden the fact that I have been studying Mandarin at college, gushing every time I remember the word for ear, or the character for family, but since diving into the phonetical nightmare that is Chinese, I've come across a lot of useful resources. I previously blogged about some handy websites to help you practice reading and vocabulary, but just like any good drug dealer, the majority of online resources get you hooked on their best features (like sound) then take it all away and demand your hard earned cash to continue getting your fix. And while some of those resources are very good, they rely on you having an active Internet connection. Not a problem for an web junkie with unlimited 3g mobile data plans like moi, but not ideal when you're out and about and need the Mandarin for "that's too expensive!" in Shanghai!

So, since becoming an Apple convert and getting my iPhone, I've been looking for good apps to aide my revision. First thing I searched for was a Chinese to English dictionary, an essential tool for anyone learning another language. Originally I had decided on buying the Oxford pocket dictionary, and whilst being fairly comprehensive (and thick!), it also came with a big price tag for a little book! Admittedly I am still a paper person when it comes to books, not really warming to ereaders and kindles (I'd much prefer to feel the paper between my fingers and see how far I've got) but the benefits of having an app instead are endless. Not only does it mean one less thing to carry (a deal sealer for me purely because I'm at risk of being renamed Quasimodo thanks to the suitcase of crap I lug around with me every day...all vital items of course!), but it also incorporates sound, allowing you to not only see the chinese character and read the pinyin but hear how it's pronounced. I settled on the iChinese app, which gives me a dictionary, a bank of lessons (on my own or with a tutor), and the ability to practice handwriting
characters.

The second essential app I've discovered isn't thought of as a language or reference app, but on my opinion perfect for improving your vocabulary and pronounciation. I had actually downloaded TuneIn Radio because I missed listening to Johnny and Lisa's banter on my morning commute (the iPhone has no radio receiver), but as I browsed stations to save as favourites, I realised the app was not restricted to UK stations! I can now hum along to catchy tunes from Taiwan and Shanghai! Listening to Chinese radio stations is great for accustoming yourself to the language (not everyone "speaks with Peggy's voice" as our teacher tells us... Wish they did, it's a damn sight easier to catch!). Radio presenters tend to speak a lot clearer than other people, and with less formal complicated language that, say, news readers will. Plus listening to Chinese pop music really does reinforce my vocabulary as lyricists aren't THAT imaginative (you hear a lot of I love you's, I don't know's and colours for some reason)! TuneIn Radio has impressed me so far, buffeting fairly quickly, and has a very easy to use interface allowing you to browse by country, genre and local area.

Only complaint I have so far is that the iPhone won't multiple-task, meaning I can't listen to the radio while I've been typing this post! Bah! Better get back to revision before my train arrives at Blackfriars!

Sent from my iPhone

Comments

Bill (葛威) said…
I highly recommend you try out Pleco. Definitely the best iPhone friendly Chinese dictionary around.

Popular Posts