A family of chameleons!

As some of you may know from past posts, the Chinese half of Mum's generation were all born in South Africa. Growing up in such a racially segregated country must have been very different to how I grew up in London. I know Mum went to an all Chinese school for one, and that even now, all my family all live very close together. The Chinese are just as guilty of racism as any other race, so imagine my reaction when I read this news story on the BBC about Chinese in South Africa being re-classed as black!


The High Court in South Africa has ruled that Chinese South Africans are to be reclassified as black people.
It made the order so that ethnic Chinese can benefit from government policies aimed at ending white domination in the private sector.
I guess this means the majority of my family have now changed race?! haha... all joking aside, it seems quite ironic to me that in the past, ethnic minorities in South Africa were discriminated against with whites getting preferential treatment, and now it seems the tide has turned and you need to be any other shade than pale to get a job. I'm all for equal rights but surely this is still discrimination in a sense, just for the opposition? But I guess it's good that Chinese South Africans are getting a fairer deal. Seems like the businesses in SA aren't too impressed with the ruling though.

Comments

Popular Posts