Wonderland, not so wonderful?

I am currently sitting on my grotty train, back to the all to dirty, rather bland and little bit grey reality after watching Alice in Wonderland in psychodelic eye popping 3D at the IMAX. So, after all the hype, was it worth the £15 ticket? Well of course it was you silly people! Ok, so it wasn't as wacky as I was expecting. Perhaps the combination of dippy Depp, hammy Helena and barmy Burton mixed with the weird and wacky world of Wonderland conjured up the expectation a film in that would just have been too off the wall for the big screen. As it was, it was both deliciously dark and trippy in equal amounts. But as good as it was, it just didn't quite hit the spot. There was something missing, something I can't quite put my finger on. Perhaps it just wasn't original enough. Perhaps after watching numerous Tim Burton films, I've become immune to his gothic style. There were too many Nightmare before Christmas-esque twisted trees. It just didn't seem.... fresh. And Johnny Depp, my most favourite flexible actor ever, seemed to swing between a recycled Willy Wonka and the fat b@stard from Austin Powers. Anne Hathaway, the White Queen, was remeniscent of the good witch in The wizard of Oz, with slightly annoying floaty finger syndrome, and came across as hammy. A mis-cast in my opinion. BUT Helena Bonham-Carter was fabulous, a perfect Red Queen. The mad march hare was hilarious, and the Cheshire cat was deliciously divine. The story, a classic, did not deviate too much and left enough recognisable aspects to keep Alice lovers happy. And seeing it at the IMAX made it all the more awesome... wall to wall 3D cinematic chromomatic psychadelic fantasticness! I'm not sure the film would have held my attention so much without the 3D enrichment. But all in all, it was a great night out. Happy birthday miss un-birthday!!! Shame the cup cakes didn't make me grow taller!! Hehe!






- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Comments

Popular Posts