The Blind Side

Not having heard of this film, or even seen a trailer, I did not know what to expect when I sat down in the Odeon cinema in Beckenham. Having gotten free tickets on seefilmfirst.com, I figured I had nothing to loose. The Blind Side tells the story of Michael Oher, Big Mike, a lonely kid who towers over his peers. Having been pushed from one foster family to another, he is accepted into a Christian school, and is academically so far behind that he is passed off as a lost cause. Secretly homeless, and struggling alone, Leigh Ann Tuohy (Sandra Bullock), a parent with children in the same school, spots him and takes him in. What begins as a temporary solution, grows into something more permanent as she realises how neglected and difficult a life Michael has had, and he gradually becomes one of the family. With encouragement, tuition, nurturing and love, Michael improves in school and displays a natural talent for American football, earning a scholarship.

Being a true story made this film even more heartwarming. I cried (several times) and I laughed. My fists balled up each time I expected the fairy tale to suddenly take a turn for the worse, but this movie is one of few with a real happy ending. Sandra Bullock is excellent as a ballsy yet caring Leigh Ann, but the actor playing SJ, her young son, steals the show. Rarely do you come out of a cinema feeling truly happy, with a belief that there really are good people in the world. A wonderful, happy, heart warming film that everyone should go and see. Excellent!!
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Comments

Popular Posts