Back to reality!


Well, I'm back from Rome... but let me start at the beginning! The day before we left for Rome we went to the Justin Timberlake concert at the O2 (used to be the millenium dome). I didn't realise that there was so much more than just the stadium in there. Our seats couldn't have been higher up in the stadium... the stage looked tiny! Was quite annoying they didn't have any big screens up either so everyone looked like little ants. Fergie was the warm up supporting act and her first few songs were poor as she didn't have a very strong voice but her dancers were amazing. Justin was good but spent way too much seated at a piano and not nearly enough dancing. The best bit by far was Timberland who had everyone up on their feet dancing!


We got back from the concert, slept for a couple of hours and then had to drive to Stansted to fly off to Rome! The hotel was a bit of a dissappointment as the room we were given was a shoe box with barely enough room to walk around the double bed. My boyf had to go downstairs to complain and was told that was the standard room size but he pulled them up on it as he'd seen the other rooms which were a lot bigger and got them to move us on Friday. The guy on reception in the mornings was the most miserable man on earth who looked totally uninterested in the guests and acted like we were bothering him any time you asked anything.


Rome itself was amazing, with so much architecture and ruins to see. Our first day we got off the underground at Colosseum and the first sight we saw directly in front of us was the Coloseum! It was amazing! Over the 5 days we literally walked from one end of Rome to the other as catching the tube wasn't really necessary (and a bit gross as the trains are covered in graffitti on line B and no air con).
We went to the Vatican Museum, St Peter's Basillica (which was absolutely amazing) and the Sistine Chapel (which was beautiful but we both
agreed that we thought the walk there was more impressive as the ceilings were more detailed). The Trevi Fountain was impressive but far too crowded and too many street sellers and was marred by getting ripped off by an ice cream parlor who charged us 27 euros for 2 ice creams which we paid as we were in shock! Didn't make THAT mistake again!! The view from the national museum near the ruins was amazing as well... I think the best day we had by far was when we visited the Villa Borghese Park and hired a rickshaw bike to cycle around on. My boyf decided to go off track for a bit which freaked me out as I thought we were going to get stuck, but we managed to find a gap in a hedge to get off the grass! It was also my boyf's birthday while we were there so I got to give him the card I spent ages working on as well as a fake OK magazine cover with funny photos of him from when he was a kid and ones I'd photoshopped! Again was a bit spoilt when he ordered lobster fettucine and it came out with only lobster shell. When he complained the waiter poked at his food saying 'the lobster's there!' which was SO rude! Luckily he brought out a half lobster afterwards which redeemed the meal a bit, otherwise my boyf would have been cursing him for the rest of the evening hehe... we also went to see Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix at the Warner Bros cinema!! Was SO good, people clapped at the end, but as my boyf hasn't read any of the books or seen The Goblet of Fire, he didn't really see what the hype was about! I LOVED it though...



Overall, I had a lovely time... mostly because I was with my boyf and we spent some really happy time together (and ate TONS of ice cream... melon being our favourite and we never ended up trying the pepperoni one although I wanted to have a bet and loser tries it) and our holiday was over far too quickly!

Now I'm back and I'm planning our next get away so we have something to look forward to... roll on camping in Wales!! We're going to go horse riding, fishing, kayaking... will be so much fun!!!

Comments

Popular Posts