The Christmas e-card dilemma

Soooo been looking at decent e-cards to send the overseas family for Christmas, partly due to it being extortionate to send letters abroad these days (cost me £9 to send a handful within the UK!) and partly due to me being crap and forgetting to post any in time! After a massive disappointing fail realising my favourite Hoops and Yoyo e-cards are no more (boo!) I resorted to googling Christmas e-greetings. This was a painful process involving clicking on lots of link to rather shitty websites with naff cards, until I found a website that had slightly less naff cards (only marginally but I was fairly fed up of wasting my entire evening watching mini clips of badly drawn dancing reindeer and cliché snowy scenes). I was then thrown into the difficult decision as to whether I should go down the cutesy card route or the religious road. Oh no, I thought, I better not send an overly religious card, it might offend people or make them comment as to why I'm sending a Christmas card quoting the bible.... then I stopped and thought about it. Why should I refrain from sending a religious card for a religious holiday? Isn't Christmas all about the birth of Jesus? Ok maybe not for everyone. Obviously it's also about family, love, thankfulness and celebrations, but first and foremost to me it's a religious celebration. It angers me so much that the world has gone politically correct mad, to the point where businesses cannot say "merry CHRISTmas" on their Christmas cards, and have to state "Season's Greetings". If Divali or Eid were celebrated as commercially as Christmas, no one would think of censoring the holiday, so why do we hesitate to show any kind of religious affinity to Christmas? Ok I may not be the best Christian in the world. I should definitely go to church more often. I should definitely try to be a better person. But that doesn't mean I should be ashamed or afraid to celebrate the biggest celebration of the Christian calendar. So I chose the card with the passage from Luke, with a scene of the wise men approaching Jesus in the stable, and I hit send. No one should ever hesitate to express their faith in a peaceful, thankful and joyous way. 

Merry Christmas to everyone however you celebrate this time of year! :D 

Comments

Popular Posts