Complain? Not me, I'm British (with a wonky fringe)

Having a fringe (or bangs if you're american, although I have no idea why the word "bangs" is associated with hair covering your forehead.....) is a pain in the arse. It needs cutting every couple of weeks, washing and styling (if you're anything like me, daily, else you look like Mary from There's something about Mary a lá cockatoo fringe minus the bodily fluids) and it's Russian roulette every time you go for a trim. Trust me once you find a hairdresser capable of trimming a fringe to the right length and evenly, you stick to them. Forever. Heaven forbid they move away! You'll be back to the nightmare of wonky hair. 

Now I don't know why us Brits are so bloody polite but it seems I'm not immune to the typical "we don't like to complain" mentality. I decided at the weekend to dash into a branch of a local chain of hairdressers I've never been to before, figuring when I go to the other branch I always get a good trim (and they always do it for free. I loathe paying £5-10 YES £10 for a quick snip). BAD MISTAKE. Not sure why but I had a gut feeling once I got in there that it was going to end badly, but I shrugged it off along with my coat and told the lovely girl holding the scissors to trim my fringe so it's between my eyes and eyebrows. "I'll just take a little off and if you want more I can trim it further". Lovely. Fast forward 15 minutes and I have a wonky fringe above my eyebrows, and she's exclaiming "it's always best to have a little bit more off, then you don't need to come back so often". I SHOULD have replied "yeah, i won't be coming back to see you often anyway, you've DESTROYED my fringe!!!". But no. I just politely thanked her (yes, I THANKED her for making me look a total idiot), wished her a merry Christmas, and took the 50% off your next haircut if you ask for whatever-her-name-was. I should have shoved the voucher in her face and said "have you SEEN how you've butchered my hair? Do I LOOK like I also want the rest of my hair attacked by a skill-less wonder?!". But no. I was polite, didn't complain, walked out, then got home and despairingly tried to tidy up the straggly bits she'd missed.

Why? Why are we so bloody polite? And why do I always end up with a bloody mess of a haircut every time I go to get my fringe trimmed?! Maybe it's time to grow it out :/

Comments

Popular Posts