THE worst dan dan mein EVER!!

There's one thing I hate to hear more than anything else its the words "let's go eat at Culture". I avoid the Chinese restaurant near work like the plague... the worst Chinese food ever.... yet everyone in the area LOVES going there!! It baffles me! It makes me want to go round my Por Por's, tupperware up her cooking and serve it to the masses, shouting "THIS is proper Chinese food!! Not this crappy slop!!". I could even forgive the gloopy rubbish they serve if the restaurant wasn't owned and run by Chinese people, but their constant chattering in Cantonese just verifies that they should know better! Aren't they embarrassed to be serving up food so unauthentic?! Or is it a running joke to them that English people pay through the nose by nasty thick wallpaper-paste like sauces slopped over dry nasty cheap pork and defrosted chicken?!

Ok I sound over dramatic... but  last night just reconfirmed that I should never ever eat there again... one of my favourite dishes when I'm in Hong Kong is dan dan mein. It's a noodle dish served in a slightly spicy peanut butter or sesame paste sauce. The noodles are usually wheat noodles and the dish is usually quite soupy. When I saw it on the menu, I thought "hooray! I'll order that!", as my previous selections of roast duck and rice or char siu roast pork were disastrous attempts of dry over cooked old meat swimming in thick cornflour thickened soy wallpaper paste sauce with rice...

Ok, so I wasn't expecting the standard of dish I get at Shanghai Por Por in Hong Kong... but....




Ummm... That obviously is NOT dan dan mein!!! Rubbery udon noodles lurked under the obligatory nasty gloop which swam with bits of nasty cheap chicken... yuck.

This is what dan dan mein SHOULD look like....



I'd be embarrassed to serve that to anyone, never mind a fellow Chinese person who knew what GOOD Chinese food should even look like, never mind taste like! Yuck. Shame on them! The next colleague that suggests we go there I'm going to have to re-educate... gross gross gross...

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Comments

Popular Posts