Getting the camping bug...!

I have just got back from an amazing weekend away! It was a fantastic weekend! Highlights included thrashing the boys at rounders, Marianne dragging Hoa to the 4th base like a woman possessed (I thought LL was competitive til I saw Marianne! haha!), our tent getting blown sky high by a rogue gust of wind and almost killing us all (ok slight exaggeration!) and getting sore bums after a day cycling!

My lovely lovely friend LL arranged a fabulous camping trip in the new forest. Hubby to be did not want to go camping... but due to his tendency to ignore chain emails (or rather get his PA... moi... to answer on OUR behalf), he didn't get a say, so I agreed to go! The camp site was pretty good in comparison to my memory of girl guide camping trips when I was a teen (which involved a hole in the ground for a loo and old skool tents which took ages to pitch!). It was a mad dash to get to the site before the gates closed and we made it with 5 minutes to spare at 10:25! Pictching tents by car headlight was interesting and we had severe tent envy when LL literally threw hers in the air and a fully formed tent popped out and landed on the ground! The facilities weren't bad at all (hot showers, although the boys complained too hot... the wussies!) and the location was pretty, surrounded by forests and ferns. Wild ponies roamed the site, which was really nice until two decided to have a bit of a conversation across the field at 5am and woke us all up!

Saturday was an early start (thanks to chatty ponies) and a fry up, then a full day of cycling through the new forest, sore bums, pub lunch, a game of rounders (boys against girls... and we thrashed the boys asses ha!) and a BBQ dinner. Cycling was great fun, but made me realise how out of shape I am! Plus I don't remember bicycle seats being SO uncomfortable! Everyone has really sore bums by the end of the day! After cycling, us girls went to Tescos to go buy food for the BBQ and came back to find everyone asleep in their tents! Guess it wasn't just me who was knackered after the cycling! 

Sunday was another early start (due to the sun being so bright this time) and we woke up to boiled potatoes scattered around our tent! A prank by some randoms no doubt to thank goodness no ponies wandered by in the night or we could have had a really nasty night time shock! One of the other couples had crackers scattered round the entrance of their tent! We started to pack up the tent before breakfast but stopped half way to eat another fry up. Just as we were finishing, a HUGE gust of wind out of nowhere blew our unsecured tent sky high (literally). Everyone gasped and laughed... until the wind changed direction and it hurtled towards our heads! Lucky superman (my future hubby) caught it just before it hit my face! After breakfast we took a trip to the beach and had a paddle in the sea. Mudeford beach is really pretty, with rows of extremely cute beach huts! We walked up to the castle for a drink and some cake and then had some fish and chips. 

The weather was glorious and a lot hotter than anticipated, and I now have a very red nose, horrible strap marks (which I need to shift as soon as my skin doesn't feel so damn sore or I'll look pretty stupid in my wedding dress) and very sunburnt arms... for some reason my sunburn stops at my wrists though! Why do hands not burn?! Go figure!

Anyway, the whole trip was fantastic and I definitely have the camping bug now! Hubby to be has agreed to go again, but only if we buy a bigger tent (than LL's and her fiance's! haha). Men! Always measuring their success by the size of their..... tents! 

Comments

Popular Posts