Self improvement...

Yesterday was pay day (and bonus day) and after storing away my extra cash knowing I'll need it for all the bits and bobs you didn't know you needed when you buy a flat (like an ironing board, hoover... basically tools to do the jobs you get your Mum to do usually), I decided that at least some of it should go on 'me' improvement rather than home improvement!

I have ummed and ahhed about learning to speak Mandarin or Cantonese for years, feeling like I should be able to teach my future children the mother tongue and all, but  missed the enrollement date for the Mandarin courses by a month last year, so had to get a move on if I wanted to enroll this year. After umming and ahhing a bit more, and asking for affirmation that it's not £170 wasted, I paid for a course of 30 Mandarin classes at my local college! First class starts 16th September. I rationalised it as costing me £2.60 an hour (£15 from the fee paid was for the exam) which is really very very good value considering the tutor I had ONE lesson with a few years ago with my friend Don cost us well over £10 for an hour.

So, fingers crossed, this time next year, I should have a basic understanding of the Chinese language. I just hope forking out £170 will MAKE me study hard and stick at it, combatting my tendancy to start and not finish things... only time will tell!

Comments

DL said…
woohoo!! Don told me bout this, and I can only see myself as inspiration! ;P (Even my driving instructor said he'd always wanted to learn Spanish and having heard about my trip was going to start lessons!!) Anway, I've finally popped ur link to my RSS feeds, so will have no excuse not to read ur posts!! :)

Popular Posts