New year resolution...

This year I hadn't set any New Years resolutions... but I think I'm going to set myself one. This year I'm going to focus on people who want to stay in touch. It's a sad fact that when you become a parent, once the excitement of a new born has died down and the reality that you can't be as spontaneous and socialable as you once were has set in with friends, you slowly begin to lose touch with people you thought you were close with. I have "friends" who have never even met my husband (we've been together 5 years!) never mind my 2 1/2 year old. 

Once you're a parent your spare time is precious, especially when you're a working parent. I've slowly come to realise that some friendships have become very one sided. It's always me keeping in touch, and the conversation drops off for a few months and then it's once again me that picks it back up. And it makes me wonder, why am I bothering? I have some fantastic friends who I barely see, yet they have memories of an elephant, putting me to shame, remembering tiny but touching details from conversations we had months ago. Friends who always remember birthdays and important dates, who keep in touch and are genuine. Those are the people treasure. So I think I'll cut the cord with those that haven't tried. Ok some friendships don't require much effort and you can meet up and feel like it's been days not months since you last caught up, but even those friendships require both parties to make *some* effort... 

So for 2015, bye bye to those who can't be arsed. I'm going to invest my time in those that deserve the small amount of spare time I have! 

Comments

Popular Posts