Sh*t Asian in-laws say

So there's a craze on YouTube at the minute of people posting funny spoof videos called "sh*t _____ say", such as "sh*t girls say", or "sh*t photographers say". One clip all my friends have been posting on Facebook is the "sh*t Asian Mums say" video, and when I watched it, I have to admit it didn't really remind me of my own mum... but it DID remind me of my in-laws! Which got me thinking about all the things they say to me! I'm no youtuber, so I figured I'd blog about it instead.

My in-laws live in Hong Kong. They're kind and very generous, but also VERY Asian! Some of the things in the YouTube clip had me chucking as I can totally relate to them.

Maybe it's a Chinese thing that people just have no social dos and donts when it comes to what is and isn't polite to say. For example, the first trip over to Hong Kong when I met my mother-in-law, she told me our kids were going to have big noses. Apparently because I have a big nose. The big nose comment is used frequently to this day. Thank god I have good self esteem or I'd have a complex and would be looking up rhinoplasty by now. I don't even think I HAVE a big nose? Do I? DO I??!

Or the time I got off the plane at Hong Kong to be met by my father-in-law who greeted me with "I think you got fatter" very matter of factly. Er, hi! Missed you too! He didn't mean any offence by it. He was just stating what he thought was a fact. Just by western standards it was bloody rude! Imagine saying that to an English person! Haha!

Asian mother-in-laws also love drama. Wailing "You such a bad son, you don't love me, you never think about mum" whilst welling up, usually in a suitably public place to cause maximum embarrassment, complete with copious amounts of pouting. Unfortunately wifey is also good at the pouting and uses charm to get her way. Ha!

Then there's the Asian mum-fussing. Omg. SO my mother-in-law! "wear more", "it's cold outside, put a scarf on", "don't wear those shoes, they too high and your feet will hurt", "eat more, eat more" (whilst piling your bowl, even though they just told you that you got fatter). Yes I have never been immune to the mum nagging, even when I was the newbie girlfriend. My first trip to Hong Kong she made me wear a granny silk scarf round my neck all day, even though it wasn't cold. If it had been my own mum I'd have just rolled my eyes and taken it off but I had to oblige because I'd just met her and had to be polite. I looked like a total prat but still managed to say "thank you auntie". Ha!

But even with all that said, they still have their loveable charm, as crazy as they may drive any son or daughter-in-law. You got to love the in-law Asian craziness.... just remind me of that fact when I come to having kids and get a barrage of "advice" on what I should and shouldn't do! Haha!

If you'd like to watch the "sh*t Asian mums say" clip you can find it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HP2escR3qQ&sns=em

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Comments

Popular Posts