Mandarin reading practice 6: using yi si 意思 is interesting!

Reading Chinese can be really difficult. You may be able to read 80% of the words in the sentence, but those all important 20% can mean the world of difference! Depending on the characters surrounding a specific word or set of words in a sentence change the entire meaning of the sentence. For example....

意思 (yi si) literally means "meaning", but when you place it in a sentence with other words, it changes.

这是意思
zhe shi you yi si
this is interesting

这是没意思
zhe shi mei you yi si
this is not interesting

这是不好意思
zhe shi bu hao yi si
this is embarassing

The same goes for  (xiang) which means "think".

想买一件毛衣
wo xiang mai yi jian mao yi
I'd like to buy a sweater

我很想看京剧
wo hen xiang kan jing ju
I'd really like to watch Beijing Opera

我很我男朋友
wo hen xiang wo nan peng you
I really miss my boyfriend

So no wonder I seem to be misunderstanding what I read in my text books even though I can ready most of the characters! eek!



Comments

Popular Posts