Facing the world

Prepare yourselves, this post could potentially become a gushy "I love my boyfriend so much" type post, but bear with me, it's deserved... My boyfriend does many things that make me thankful to be with him. From fanatically hoovering the flat (to the point of fretting the carpet's not been vacuumed all weekend and asking if half 9 on a Sunday night is too late to hoover), to offering to miss the England vs Germany match so we could spend "quality time together (which I declined btw as I'm not that demanding!), he really is the perfect boyfriend. He makes me laugh with his silly sense of humour and tenuous grasp of the English language at times (such as thinking flattered and flattened were interchangible words, and asking the deli counter staff in Sainsburys for chicken tights instead of chicken thighs), all the while taking the ribbing and teasing in his stride, never complaining and never showing offence. But every now and then, in between scrubbing the oven or walking out of his way to meet me after work, he does something so selfless and thoughtful that it makes my heart want to explode.

Yesterday he bet on the Chile vs Brazil world cup match, and won a little money. It wasn't a lot, but he likes to put the odd bet on world cup matches. After dinner we watched '7 faces in 7 days', a documentary about children from Vietnam with often life threatening facial disfigurements. The charity facing the world paid for 3 children to fly to London for life changing plastic surgery. One girl, who's eye was wrecked my a brain tumour pushing the eyeball out of her head, had severe and near fatal surgery. The tumour was removed, her swollen and painful eyeball removed, and she was given a new eyesocket and false eye. In the face of life threatening illness and disfigurement, the girl smiled throughout, and was visibly overjoyed with her new eye. In stark contrast to people in the west, who obsess over birthmarks, moles, cellulite and the size of their nose ot thighs, this girl was simply happy to have a fake eye, noticably false and yet a vast improvement on the life threatening swollen red tumour that was protruding from her eye socket.

After watching the documentary, my boyfriend, instead of surfing online shops to spend his winnings, googled 'facing the world' and donated his winnings.

I love you.
x

You can watch the episode of Extraordinary people: 7 new faces in 7 days here.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Comments

Popular Posts