More banana blogging...

So, I like to think of myself as the London respresentative of the Chinese banana community. I'm sure I'm not the leading authority on being a westernised Londoner of east Asian descent, and my random ramblings are not always strictly about being mixed race or Chinese, but as I haven't found many other blogs that claim to be banana-centric, that's proof enough for me! I have a blog feed on facebook and was pleasantly surprised to see a Canadian counterpart, the ugly Chinese Canadian, is following this blog... so "hi!" *waves*.

The ugly Chinese Canadian seems to blog pretty much like me, about the issues and experiences us bananas face, as well as a ton of other anecdotal stuff about his community and life (and a bit of total random "look what I found on you tube, isn't it COOL! type posts). He also explains rather more eloquently the definition of a banana:


Ba*na”na\ (noun)
A banana is a person of Asian descent born (or “assimilated”) in the West (Canada, Australia, Britain) … yellow outside…white inside.
Also known as a “Jook Sing” 竹升 (like bamboo, both ends “plugged” so little from either culture is thoroughly absorbed).

The opposite of a Banana is an Egg (white outside and yellow inside).
  1. Bob: Our classmate doesn’t speak a word of Chinese…he’s embarrassed of the fact that he’s Chinese.
    Carol: Yeah, he’s a Banana.
  2. Ted: How about that new white guy from Ontario?… he speaks fluent Mandarin!
    Alice: Yeah, he’s an Egg!
Anyways, I got way too over excited about a Canadian banana and obviously went 'oooh I gotta blog that!". Needless to say, he's in my RSS reader and anything that strikes a chord (or just plain makes me ROFL) shall be backlinked from here with a "he's done it again, you gotta read this" type blog post thingy.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi scrambledeggsblog.blogspot.com !

Thanks for writing up about our thoughts on our banana identity.

So cool to see fellow bananas around the world sharing ideas and joy.

All the best for a great and Happy New year of the Tiger.

roar,
your banana bud in Canada,
the UGLY Chinese Canadian

Popular Posts