Upcycling my furniture!

Since I bought my lovely new cream dresser for the lounge, I've wanted to change my dining table and chairs. They were left in the house when we bought it and although there's nothing really wrong with them other than the odd dent, the orange pine isn't really my taste. But with a new fence to pay for (damned storm!) and neighbours badgering us to re-Tarmac the shared driveway, I couldn't really justify spending hundreds on a new dining suite. So, I went to Homebase and bought a pot of cream Dulux "made by me" gloss and a brush... and attacked the furniture! Top tip, if you forget to buy white spirit or turpentine to clean your crushes (like I did!), wrap them in cling film and a plastic bag overnight to keep the paint wet until you can clean it properly! 

I have to say, bar the odd drip mark where I got a little over enthusiastic with the paint, the overall finish is quite good. I did it over two nights, letting the paint dry between coats, and it looks quite good. For a really professional slick finish I'd say apply the paint thinly over three coats instead though. I'm just too impatient to wait three days!

After painting the dining table and chairs (and realising I have 2 more chairs in a cupboard that I forgot about and will also need painting at some point!) I decided to tackle the dated coffee table too. Really rushed that one as the novelty had work off by then so it's not as nice a finish as the dining table but it still looks good as long as you don't look closely at the legs!

So there you go. A whole new set of furniture using a £16 can of paint! Tadaa!!




Comments

Popular Posts